Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th August 2016, 10:38 PM   #1
Marcus

Default How old is this Trumbash?

Purchased a few years ago from ebay. I've been almost afraid to ask.
Marcus
Attached Images

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 11:22 PM   #2
Pieje

Why afraid?

IMHO before 1920, probably around 1900.
Pieje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 11:46 PM   #3
Sajen

Yes, why afraid? You bought from a serious seller: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=trumbash

Best regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 11:55 PM   #4
Marcus

Default no fear!

Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 02:56 PM   #5
Marcus

Default purpose for the holes?

Is it known if the two holes in the trumbash blade served a purpose or were symbolic of something?
Old 8th August 2016, 07:20 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

As asked on the other trumbash thread, I found the following.

From "In the Shade of the Acacia Tree: Memoirs of a Health Officer in Africa 1945-1959", Frank L. Lambrecht, 1991, p.31:
"...early visitors to Central Africa have described on the extraordinary variety and shapes of a weapon called 'trumbush' or'trombash'. It was apparently commonly used as a throwing knife during intertribal wars. It is probable that the more ornate ones depicted in the earlier books may have been knives intended for parade and symbols of authority rather than as combat weapons.
Gaetano Casati (1838-1902)in "Ten Years in Equatoria" mentions:
this is a weapon of command and distinction. The king upon sitting
down places it on a stool close by and waves it when he is gesticulating
during a long speech. It is astonishing to see how ambitious chiefs and
warriors are to possess the elegant and glittering trombash.

The blades of some of the old style war knives I received from Chief Karume show one or more HOLES . In the past each hole received a copper knob- the number of knobs corresponding with rank of bearer. "

It also notes that less elaborate wood handle versions (instead of the carved ivory of the parade examples) were carried by ordinary villagers. Rather than the elaborate status oriented character, these were multipurpose tools used by both men and women. Presumably they, like most such items, could of course serve as a weapon.

It would seem that as with many African weapons forms, especially throwing knives (of which these are regarded), there are many assumptions as to use and in this case, symbolism.

As it seems the holes, of various number, in these knives are typically vacant. It sounds like the ivory hilt versions were the 'parade' or ceremonial versions, and these should have had the copper plugs or knobs.

The more 'ordinary' wooden handled examples, in my view, may have sought to emulate the holes in the parade versions, however that may be a broad assumption. Since the Mangbetu are known for the practice of polygamy, this may account for how the notion for 'number of wives' came into play. Still, it seems more likely to have been more of a vestigial recognition of the rank or status holes in the parade versions, plausibly simply placed there because such style was rather established .
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 01:11 PM   #7
Jens Nordlunde

I dont know anything about these knives, but I found one in the reprint of Oldman's catalogue pp. 108 and 109. He writes that it is from Monbuttu or Monbutta, but he does not give any age or size.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 09:59 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
I dont know anything about these knives, but I found one in the reprint of Oldman's catalogue pp. 108 and 109. He writes that it is from Monbuttu or Monbutta, but he does not give any age or size.

Jens,
Thank you for answering. Actually I don't know anything about them either except they are odd looking and look very much like the axe/knives in Egyptian hieroglyphics and others. It always amazes me that these native peoples so far from Egypt, seem to have brought old styles probably from their origins as Nilotic tribes.
The Oldman catalog is a wonderful reference, and a look into how exciting collecting must have been back in those old days.

All the best
Jim
Old 13th August 2016, 10:14 PM   #9
Pieje

The Mangbetu live in NE Congo around the Sudanese border...not that far from Egypt!
Pieje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 10:55 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieje
The Mangbetu live in NE Congo around the Sudanese border...not that far from Egypt!

Ahah!!!
I should have looked at my map
Well that makes sense then.
Thanks Peije!