Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 1st June 2013, 03:57 PM   #1
RSWORD

Default Third example of Taiwanese Aboriginal Sword

Here is the third example. Again, I appreciate learning more about these pieces and the differences. This one has an absolutely superb handle. The handle has two very detailed faces on each side. The quality of the faces seems high to me. Below the heads and on each side is carved the zig zag pattern. The top of the handle has 6 heads carved around the pommel. A good bit of the red paint remains. The scabbard seem to show ancestors in full regalia. Looks like they are wearing head dress of some kind. The scabbard is painted in black dye and the faces and head dresses are accented in white dye. 4 faces adorn the wood block on top of the scabbard. The open faced side has metal wire. The blade is similar to the others in that one side is hollow ground and the opposite side is beveled but it has a lot more patina. This blade is blackish in patina with a fair amount of pitting and seems to have been worn down a bit more than the other blades. Also, the handle on the second example would seem to match the scabbard on this example better so I initially thought maybe the scabbards had been mixed up. However, the second example doesn't fit into the third scabbard and vice versa. That could be from the wood shrinking on these scabbards but am not sure. Would be interested in thoughts about how the handles pair up with the scabbards.

Thanks again in advance for any feedback on these pieces, particularly about the specific elements to each piece.
Attached Images

RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2013, 03:58 PM   #2
RSWORD

Some additional pics for feedback.
Attached Images

RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 06:50 AM   #3
Philip

Default blade profile

Seems to me that this blade has a slight curve and radiused tip to it, in contrast to your other two which are straight with angular tips. Factoring out the chisel-edge and hollow grind, the contour seen here is more along the lines of a short Chinese willow-leaf blade. A hybird concept, perhaps, due to some cross-cultural pollination?
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 02:33 PM   #4
yuanzhumin

Sorry Rick, I just see that you have already posted the two other knives.

This one is as old and authentic as the first I saw!

Very nice one! Great carving! The zig zag line by the way is symbolizing the snake skin! The hundred pace snake (named like this because once you have been beaten you can only walk hundred paces before falling down, dead!) is considered in the Paiwan myth to be the original ancestor of their nobility!
yuanzhumin is offline   Reply With Quote