Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 6th July 2016, 02:23 AM   #1
Ed

Default A Forum Project

Just thought of this one.

I bought an almost precise replica of the Loshult Gun some years ago. The guy who made it did work for the US National Park Service (a really estimable organization) and made a pattern, cast the thing, finished it etc etc.

You with me? OK. Now I made him an offer for the pattern and I subsequently bought it.

Yup. I am in a position to cast replica Loshult Guns. I can be a real cannon founder!!!

I'll take some pictures of the pattern tomorrow if there is any interest in proceeding with making some. I have zero idea of how to proceed but I use machine shops and such down here for my gun business and I bet I can figure it out.

BTW ... I sent the pattern to Michael years ago. He was going to make some castings in Germany. The plan fell thru and he sent the thing back.

So, good idea? Stupid? Somewhere in the middle? I bet any military museum that you might know of would be interested in one. I'd probably donate one to West Point's museum.

Cost? No idea. I'll poke around tomorrow.

ETA: Be clear: I am NOT selling you anything. This would be a joint effort, costs shared etc etc.
Attached Images

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 03:31 AM   #2
JamesKelly

In my experience it is best to deal with a foundry that regularly casts cannon something near to what you want. If you wish it to be 90% copper 10% tin bronze, then by all means deal with a foundry that likes to cast this stuff. Otherwise you will indeed pay for their learning curve.

It is important that you deal with a foundry that already makes cannon, and specifically cannon which are meant to be fired.

Replica bronze cannon are made in the USA. One may purchase a nice gun at the Mansfield, Ohio Civil War show in the Spring, I believe first weekend in April.

Runs in my mind there is a cannon maker somewhere in Indiana.

Look on the internet, one that claims to be great is Steen Canon & Ordnance Works. I have absolutely no personal knowledge of them.

I am inclined to believe that there are many more foundries that cast something in the shape of a cannon, than those that cast strong, reliable cannon.

If you make it, someone will want to shoot it. Be kind to his life & limb and use an experienced cannon foundry.

There is a nice new bronze cannon at Colonial Michilimackanac, presumably made somewhere in Pennsylvania.

I do have over a half-century experience as a metallurgist, working with a range of materials. If I come across as slightly cynical, I can provide you with both horror stories and successes.
JamesKelly is offline   Reply With Quote