Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 31st August 2014, 06:39 PM   #1
Cerjak

Default Traditional costumes of Kalash a people in danger of extinction

I ‘m not a traditional costume collector but I am very interested about the Kalash history.
This woman's dress (jumlo) has very deep sleeves, and a short skirt with over 450 godets. The upper part of the dress and sleeves are embroidered with red thread in back-stitch and the cuffs and collar are embroidered in chain-stitch. Solar and geometric patterns, connected with pre-Islamic traditions, dominate in ornamentation. Additionally, the dress is decorated with beads, cowrie-shells, coins, buttons, and zippers – sometimes treated as amulets
I found it in Ouarzazate (Morocco) ,the previous owner told me that his father a tuareg had brought it 30 or 40 years ago from the Mecca .
I would be very pleased to find old pictures before 1950’s or early from this people and hope that some members have knowledge about the Kalash.

Kalash People (PTV Documentary 1976) – YouTube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D-zOAwzi1M
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2014, 07:32 PM   #2
Cerjak

Default more pics from similar example

more pics from similar example
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 11:07 AM   #3
BANDOOK

the kalash were remanants of alexander the greats army,whom he desserted and they now live in the tribal belt of afganistan,they are kafirs or no beleivers so are an outcast by the majority muslim population .some years ago the Macedonian government sent an envoy to do research and find out more abouth them as they were originally from Macedonia
regards rajesh
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote