Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th February 2006, 03:09 PM   #1
carlos

Default MY TRIP TO POLAND

HELLO EVERYBODY!!
PROBABLY I´LL GO TO POLAND IN 2 MONTH. WHAT KIND OF EDGED WEAPONS COULD I BUY ?, SOMEBODY KNOWS SOME ADDRESS OF ANTIQUES SHOP TO BUY EDGED WEAPONS?.
THANKS FOR ALL
CARLOS
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 03:29 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

I can’t help you with the name of any shops, but if you buy any weapons, make sure that you can get them out of the country.

Maybe it would be a good idea to tell where in Poland you intend to go.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 06:25 PM   #3
wolviex

If you're planning visit Krakow/Cracow/Cracovia don't hesitate to let me know!

There are some antique shops but I have to warned you, that exporting antique objects from Poland is not easy, and you'll need many papers on it! To be exact, I have no personal experiences with exporting weapons, so maybe others can help, I suppose not everyone is examined on the border too. There is one general rule, you can export everything what is not Polish or with some significance to Polish history. But as Museum worker I have to make opinions sometimes for customs and I found that they're detaining everything what they can catch. It can be even modern kris, they just don't know anything about that! If you want to go throught with something legally, then you have to get papers but the process can be quite long. That's the reality!
I can ask around about antique shops. Mostly you'll find modern 20th century objects like bayonets, Russian, Prussian and Austrian sabres, medals, badges and orders, some uniforms - this is todays market full of lunatics who still want to buy such things. You have to tell me where exactly are you going. Poland is quite big country anyway , and what are you looking for. You can also mail to me on: wolviex@poczta.onet.pl

regards
Michal
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 06:27 PM   #4
wolviex

Something what should interest you:

http://www.bpcc.org.pl/glowna.php?id=759
Old 24th February 2006, 06:36 PM   #5
carlos

Default MY TRIP TO POLAND

THANKS FOR INFORMATION!!, PROBABLY I´LL BE ONLY 3 DAYS (WITH MY WIFE AND ANOTHERS FRIENDS) IN VARSOVIA AND IS POSSIBLE WE´LL GO ONE DAY TO CRACOVIA.
I´M INTERESTED IN YATAGHANS, IS POSSIBLE FIND SOME?, AND THE PAPERS IN THE CUSTOM?
THANKS AGAIN
CARLOS
Old 24th February 2006, 07:43 PM   #6
wolviex

3 days and only 1 in Cracovia - that's almost a crime, while this is one of the most beautiful cities in Poland. Varsovia is quite nice to, until you're not going sighseeng. One day should be enough for this city(I'm sure citizens of Varsovia are already looking for me with blood lust in their eyes ). But if your going in buisness matters, then two days in our capitol city should be ok. Most beautiful Poland is during spring - May/June, or in autumn - September and October, mostly in mountains, today, at the end of the winter it can dissapoinyting - cold, rainy and dull.
About yataghans - Iwill ask around, but it's not popular weapon in Poland, personally I don't know anyone who collect such weapons, so that what you can find in here are mostly average in quality pieces, if there are!
When are going on the trip?
Old 24th February 2006, 09:01 PM   #7
carlos

Default TRIP

PROBABLY I´LL GO IN APRIL, I HOPE HAVE SOME HOLIDAYS!!IF I CAN´T FIND YATAGANS, WHAT IS THE TYPICAL ETHNOGRAPHIC EDGED WEAPONS IN POLAND?.
THANKS
Old 25th February 2006, 08:48 AM   #8
wolviex

Most typical are of course Polish sabres of different types: Hungarian-Polish, from 16-17th c. and hussars sabres, 17-18th c., also karabelas, of Turkish type with Polish blades, or made in Polish manufactures as parade weapon in 18th century. Other sabres are variations of those above or those used in rest of Europe, but often with blades with Polish sentences, pictures etc. Everything is very rare, very expensive and hard too find, not mention that get anything outside Poland legally is quite hard. Other ethnographic weapons are of Hussars armament: armours, nadziak and obuszek (war-hammers), bulawa and buzdygan (war-maces, maces), and many others. There are no strictly Polish knives, oer no type of such, while these weapons were in use mostly by peasants and townsmen, while most of the cultural heritage is after noblemen which used sabres. Other armament is the same or very similiar to that used in other European countries, mostly Germany, France, Austria, sometimes Russia. Except those, all other weapons are mostly military, but sometimes, just as everywhere else, with some individual adaptations.
You can of course buy many modern tourist pieces, but in my opinion there are quite poor.
As you can see, Polish market is both: very specific and quite closed. As I wrote before, most collectors are interested in military objects not ethnographic ones.
Old 25th February 2006, 10:09 AM   #9
carlos

Default THANKS!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION!!, I´M THINKING I ONLY ENJOY THE TRIP AND I DIDN´T BUY SWORDS TO AVOID PROBLEMS IN THE CUSTOM.
CARLOS
Old 25th February 2006, 10:49 AM   #10
wolviex

Except antique shops there is a lot of museums with arms and armour to see. In Warsaw only one it is Muzeum Wojska Polskiego (Museum of Polish Army), in my city 4
Muzeum Narodowe (National Museum) where I'm working and where you can find the biggest exhibition of arms and armour in Poland (over 1600 objects)
Wawel Castle with beautiful, partially Royal collection of arms
Cartoryski Museum with arms, armours, paintings, etchings and the famous Leonardo da Vinci's "The Lady with an Ermine" painting
You can also see Muzeum Historyczne Miasta Krakowa (Historical Museum) and Muzeum Archeologiczne (Archeological Museum) in both there are some arms on exhibitions.
I think you should consider the plan of the trip and come to Cracovia for few days more, one week is to short! (and I don't mention beautiful monuments - bah, you'll need around one month )

If you'll have any questions please mail to me, I'll gladly help you. If you'll need a guide on National Museum collection contact me!, I'm working there in Military Department. If you'll be in Cracovia between Monday and Friday, maybe I'll be able to show you magazines where you can find (among others 10,000 miltary objects) around 100 yataghans, nothing special I think, we still miss some important pieces, but there are some worth of seeing
Regards!
Old 25th February 2006, 07:43 PM   #11
carlos

Default WOWW!!

I´M THINKING TO BUY ANOTHER MEMORY CARD FOR MY CAMERA!!!, THANKS FRO INFORMATION, REALLY, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!. IF ALL THE PEOPLE IN POLAND IS LIKE YOU I´LL PASS A MARVELLOUS HOLIDAYS!!. I´M GOING TO PRINT THIS PAGE WIYH ALL THE INFORMATION!!
CARLOS