Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th July 2006, 07:00 PM   #1
The Double D

Default ID help, please

I acquired Eileen Jensen Krige The Social System of the Zulu today. She lists 11 different patterns of Zulu spears. Can anyone post pictures of these these patterns to help me identify them?
  • isiNkemba, isiPhapha
  • isiKwata
  • iKhebezane
  • inHlendhla, iZakha
  • inGcula, inTshusha
  • inDlodlela, umDludlu
  • isiJula, isiNsemba
  • uNlelwane, inGicawe
  • iThatha, isiNqindi
  • inCusa

I have not include umKhwa, iKlwa on the list because it is pretty easy to Identify.

I believe I have seen several of the patterns already and your help in confirming them would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks!!

DD
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 07:19 PM   #2
The Double D

The conspicious lack of repsonses here tells me I may be breaking new ground.

Perhaps I should share my new found knowledge about the Zulu spear. I only knew about two different kinds when I start looking a couple months ago. Now I find a large number or patterns.

Anyone interested?

I also have a line on a person who may be able to introduce me to a Zulu Spear maker. Would a discssion and pictures of that process be appropriate and allowed on this board?
Old 18th July 2006, 07:37 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Yes go on and spill the beans. We all know there are many Zulu spears but if you can put names to each type then bravo and bully for you. I am looking forward to it.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 07:48 PM   #4
Flavio

Yeah, i'm very interested, i'm waiting for your posts
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 10:05 PM   #5
katana

DD, you can definately add me to the list of 'interested persons'. The stages of spear manufacture will be very informative.
I have found info. on forging 'socketted' spear heads but these were Viking copies, made with Westernised blacksmith/bladesmith equipment. I understand that traditionally the 'African' anvil was of stone...and I would imagine that metal anvils are now the norm.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 05:10 AM   #6
The Double D

I am going to have to add to my library some more as Krige refers to the sources of her information for the spears description she provides.

I think what I will do is this weekend I will rewrite the opening post. Since we can't edit earlier posts...good idea, who though of it...I will open a new post called Types of Zulu spears or some such. I will include the description and Krige's source for that description with the designations.

Then from that maybe we can post pictures of our Zulu Spears see if we can figure out what we have.

I can tell you this I passed up two spear on the list because I thought they were wore out and now it appears they were not!

Later when I finally catch up to the Spearmaker I will make a picture heavy post on his actiivities. It is my understanding the one I am tracking dowm does them for demonstration the old way with stones.

I went through the American Museum of Natural History site yesterday and they have quite a few Zulu spears listed. What surprising is that they simply accept the donors definition of what the spear is. One is very obviously not a Zulu spear.

This is starting to get interesting!!!
Old 19th July 2006, 06:05 PM   #7
The Double D

I picked up a copy of A.T.Bryant's THe Zulu People this afternoon. Wow this is starting to feel like research for a term paper in college....but much more fun. Just scanning over the text looks like lot of good info to read.

Whille looking for any additional books in the shop the Proprietress asked me if I had any interest in the Anglo-Zulu War. When I told her yes, she offered me a folder of newspaper clippings from the 1979 Centennial at a very reasonable price So I bought the folder as well as the book I was looking for.

Here's what I found in the folder.

Two first day covers and a plate block set of stamps.

Three black and white photo's taken at the Celebration at Isandlwana in May 1979. (marked on back)

A pamphlet from the Local History Museum titled "The Needless War The Exhibition of Artifacts, pictures and documents to mark the centenary of the Anglo Zulu War of 1879".

41 Newspaper clippings from 1979 reporting various events of the centennial celebration as well as the war.

Don't know what I am going to do with this stuff. For now I'll just toss it in the drawer and maybe use it for trading stock. Kind of a neat tie-in to the one of the last great battles where the Spear challenged the gun.

Only thing missing was nice isijula or iklwa.