Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 17th February 2018, 12:13 AM   #31
Richard Furrer

Steve,
I have a very good idea as to technique for both the patterns, but it would be techniques I would use and may not have been theirs. I'll give it a try later this year when I have the time.
I have been wanting to make a barrel for some time and seeing this put me in the mood.

Thank you for your kind words on the Armor show. It was six months of my life.

Ric
Richard Furrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 04:32 AM   #32
archer

Default Pattern matching

Looking forward to your Barrel. Ok, so the mandrel establishes to bore size you decide the depth and thickness of the material your going to wrap around the mandrel. So experience tells them using 1/2 inch wide material you need to stack to right then to the left to get a W or M pattern?? If they stacked on an angle can the material be fused? Did they do this Mystery technique that DR.Figiel decided must be how the Slices were made? Is It all Math or what? No secrets but just a hint. Thanks Steve
archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 05:45 PM   #33
rickystl

Hi Richard.

Here I am. LOL Been traveling quite a bit and have to leave again Monday.
It's always like this from mid February to mid April every year, it seems. Interfers with my hobby. LOL

My knowledge of damascus is minimal (at best !). So I often get lost/confused during the conversation. LOL The book mention above: Oriental Arms and Armour is the only location I've found that offers some insight on how these barrels were made. And I had to re-read this a few times to better understand.
It must have taken an enormous amount of hours to manufacture just one barrel. Judging by the many remaining specimens there must have been a large number of people devoted to making them. Since they continued to make and use these Toradors up to about the 1880's you would think there would be more records somewhere about the techniques of making these unique barrels, including the reason for the unusual breech design found on most barrels. But it seems the Indian Continent kept little if any "written" documentation on these guns (as well as other weapons) as to their manufacture. The knowledge we do have seems to come from British/European observers during the period. I guess it's been left to us to piece together the tiny bits of evidence to come up with our conclusions. LOL

Steve: That is a BEAUTIFUL barrel !!!! As you might surmise by now, I haven't the slightest clue as to how this pattern was accomplished - or should I say two patterns - on the same barrel !!! And what a great job of cleaning. And, thank you for the cleaning techniques. Very helpful. I'll have to give that white chaulk a try sometime. I'm so glad the Forum saves this information for future reference. Again, a fantastic looking Torador barrel. Never seen anything like it. Can't imagine all the work that went into it. Must have been for just a decorative purpose - and it's certainly that. Great job !!

The barrel on my shooting Torador (yet to be tested) has the typical twist pattern seen on many of these barrels. It only required a simple oil cleaning. Primarily the bottom of the barrel.
While the gun was more plain and less decorated, it was in very good condition.

By the way, for cleaning, I have found this scrubber to work very well. Just use in place of 0000 steel wool. Works better and faster.

Thanks again for this super interesting Thread. Great reading.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote