Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th December 2021, 11:15 AM   #1
Conduit

Default Another keris to ID

Would you please help me to ID this keris.
Many thanks for your help.
Attached Images

Conduit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2021, 07:26 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Hi Conduit. In my opinion this is another nice old well formed keris blade, albeit with some significant material lose over the years. But it still seems rather solid and stable.
Some might call this hilt a buta form, some might call it a raksasa. There are other names i have also heard if we want to play the name game. It seems to have some age, but not nearly as much a the blade. It is a fair rendition of the form. Not extremely well carved, but not unacceptable. A nice and proper mendak between the hilt and blade would give this keris a better overall look and not really cost you too much. I am afraid that having a new sheath made for it would be a bit more of an expense.
I have some ideas about the origin of your keris, but i won't say too much at this point. Certainly Javanese. The hilt form is a Cirebon style i believe (though made later than that period), but i'm not sure the blade can be tagged to the same origin. Tangguh is certainly not my strong point, especially when judging just from photographs. Though i have some ideas about it i think i would rather leave it up to some wiser and more skilled folks to take a crack at first. Then i can either privately congratulate myself for being smarter than i thought i was or simply avoid the embarrassment if i was completely wrong. LOL!
All in all, a nice collectable old keris, though an incomplete ensemble.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2021, 12:37 AM   #3
A. G. Maisey

This blade has a boto adeg blumbangan, the sogokan is nicely cut --- not high class, but well formed and nicely done, the distance from the last luk to the point is not too long, there is an ada-ada to the point, the sirah cecak appears to be Surakarta form, I cannot read the rondha it is too heavily eroded, I cannot read the material, the blade is out of stain and very dirty. The wadidang appears to have been reasonably wide. The surface does not show evidence of heavy acid cleaning.

Cleaned and stained it might be classifiable as Surakarta, the other choices are East Jawa and Banten.

The hilt appears to have considerable wear to the top of the head and back, it is not particularly well carved, there is dirt, or perhaps resin adhering to some of the detail carving. I believe the age of this hilt is considerable.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2021, 09:04 AM   #4
Jean

I agree with Alan, the blade has 11 luk and the dapur is Sabuk Inten with few exceptions (depending on the reference source), and I would not attempt to classify it as it is too eroded and was not made by an empu...
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote