Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd December 2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Tagalog Bolo?

I just buy this philippine bolo by epray. Since I have read a lot in Filhistory from Migueldiaz (great page) I think I buy a Tagalog bolo, would be nice when you confirm this and can give me an estimated age of this small sword. It is 23 inch OA or 58,4 cm. Until now I don't have it in my hands and this is a picture from the seller. All comments are very appreciated.

sajen
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 08:16 PM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Sajen,
IMHO by looking at the blade (it looks to be mono-steel) and the finish of the horse hoof style horn grip, the brass casting of the guard and the embossing on the leather sheath I would have to say that this piece is from WWII or later. I hope this is of some small help.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 08:22 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Hello Sajen,
IMHO by looking at the blade (it looks to be mono-steel) and the finish of the horse hoof style horn grip, the brass casting of the guard and the embossing on the leather sheath I would have to say that this piece is from WWII or later. I hope this is of some small help.

Robert
Hello Robert,

thank you for reply. This is what I have thought, but I am not so firm by blades from the Philippines.

Detlef
Old 22nd December 2009, 08:59 PM   #4
FilAmfighter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
I just buy this philippine bolo by epray. Since I have read a lot in Filhistory from Migueldiaz (great page) I think I buy a Tagalog bolo, would be nice when you confirm this and can give me an estimated age of this small sword. It is 23 inch OA or 58,4 cm. Until now I don't have it in my hands and this is a picture from the seller. All comments are very appreciated.

sajen
This blade is a Post WW-2 Bolo, Espada pattern, I have one simular my mother-in-law gave me as wedding present. Your hilt is brass cast, and you leather sheath is most likely Carabo hide leather. It shows some usage which is alway good.
If anybody wants I can post a link for PDF magazine- special edition on Filipino Weapons A-Z so you have it for refference.
FilAmfighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:28 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilAmfighter1
This blade is a Post WW-2 Bolo, Espada pattern, I have one simular my mother-in-law gave me as wedding present. Your hilt is brass cast, and you leather sheath is most likely Carabo hide leather. It shows some usage which is alway good.
If anybody wants I can post a link for PDF magazine- special edition on Filipino Weapons A-Z so you have it for refference.
Thank you for comment and welcome to the forum. The link would be very interesting. You like to show us your bolo?

Regards,

Detlef
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:28 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Why not ?
Post away .

Here's what I think is an oldie; Bonifacio ?
Laminated blade, hardened edge .
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:32 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Why not ?

Here's what I think is an oldie; Bonifacio ?
Laminated blade, hardened edge .
Hi Rick,

very nice bolo, thank's for sharing.

Detlef
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:41 PM   #8
Dimasalang

Bonifacio bolo.
Agreed, this one seems to be post-WWII. But I would say this is one of the better examples from that time. Most do not look as nice and detailed as this one. Nice grab, I was eyeballin this one too on ebay.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:08 AM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimasalang
Bonifacio bolo.
Agreed, this one seems to be post-WWII. But I would say this is one of the better examples from that time. Most do not look as nice and detailed as this one. Nice grab, I was eyeballin this one too on ebay.
Thank's for your comment!

Regards,

Detlef
Old 23rd December 2009, 03:29 AM   #10
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Sajen, thanks for the complement. Actually I was eyeing this bolo too, until I realized that I was running out of ga$ It's a nice piece, congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilAmfighter1
FilAmfighter1, thanks for mentioning this. Can you please post the link? Thanks
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 09:01 PM   #11
FilAmfighter1

Default FMA Digest Special Editions

I came back from Holiday vacation.The FMA Digest has recently shutdown its publication of the old magazine. It is be re-organized, I have been asked to write column on the Basics of FMA. Anyway, I have the PDF file I can send to anyone who wants it but the link for the special edition does not work now. I will be taking some pictures of some of my blades, I will post as soon as I can.
Old 4th January 2010, 09:13 PM   #12
FilAmfighter1

Default We got lucky and the link still works

http://www.fmadigest.com/Issues/spec...e-Weaponry.pdf
Past this link in It will give you route to the PDF, 45 page of info on Filipino Blades and other weapons and were to buy them.
Old 5th January 2010, 07:08 AM   #13
ibeam

FilAmFighter1,
Are you the author of this article??
ibeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 02:46 PM   #14
FilAmfighter1

Post FMA Digest Special Edition

Yes, I was the primary with material shared by others with me. It was based upon my collection of notes over years. After putting it togather has recieved at-a-boys and stones-throwing. I will say it is not perfect but it was the best I had. Some day I hope to do another with new pictures and more info.
Old 11th January 2010, 06:28 PM   #15
FilAmfighter1

Default Here are some of my Filipino Blades

Here are some of my blades that I have collected over the years. Ok I know I have one Hawaiian blade in there as well.
Attached Images