Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th July 2015, 09:52 AM   #1
johnrwatkin

Default Sarawak Mandau Sword or Parang #2

I purchased this parang (I will call it a parang because that is what the local Dayaks call it!) as one of a pair from a very close friend, a Chinese coffee-shop owner in Siniawan, Sarawak in Borneo in 1987. Lu had an impressive collection of artefacts and collectibles, purchased from the surrounding Bidayuh (Land Dayaks) and Iban (Sea Dayaks) longhouses. But Lu was over 80 years old when I knew him, and was having to reluctantly part with his collection to fund his retirement.

Lu let me have two parangs or Mandau.

This second Mandau is more simple – and possibly of a later date – than the previous one posted. It is in very good condition, has good blackened patina, a nicely carved scabbard, very fine associated split bamboo or woven fern fibre bindings, and a finely carved wooden hilt.

The hilt of the Mandau is of carved wood, with a tuft of hair implanted in the top. I am unsure of what the carved motifs are – a dragon’s head; boar’s head; leech motifs?

Plaited dark brown fern fibre of the has been used to lash the hilt or grip to the blade and to strap the wooden casing of the scabbard together.

The blade is not particularly heavy, is curved and single edged. It is smithed with piercing incised-work and fretwork and traces of engraving, but is not inlaid with any brass. The blade is 510mm long – the overall length of the Mandau, including hilt, is 640mm.

The scabbard is of two pieces of carved wood held together with fern and rattan binding. It is carved with Dayak motifs.

Can anybody shed any further light on my Mandau? Age? Rarity?
Attached Images

johnrwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 12:29 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

John:

I'm sorry that nobody has been along so far to help you with your questions. I'm no expert on parang ihlang, but this does look to have some age. The scabbard shows nice age patina and obviously spent some time in a smoky home environment before Mr Lu acquired it. The blade has some old-looking oxidation on it, consistent with the time period that you have had it or longer. If you plan to keep the blade in its present condition you might want to stabilize the oxidation with tannic acid and then keep it lightly oiled periodically. Otherwise you could clean and polish it to maintain it in the way its original owner would have.

As to age, it's hard to say from just looking at the pictures. At a guess, I would say early to mid-20th C.

With regard to rarity, I'm not seeing anything that jumps out at me to say this is an uncommon item. The sword appears to be well made but not especially so, and the scabbard is a nice example.

What is somewhat unusual is the provenance that you have. Not many of these swords have a site of origin that is as well documented as yours.

Regards,

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2015, 04:35 PM   #3
Dajak

The handle and scabbard not so old....

Ben
Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote