Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th June 2012, 06:49 PM   #1
ThePepperSkull

Default Twistcore kris with... erm.. Wha-- What is this?

An obviously cross-cultural piece. Beautiful, but very confusing to me.

The hilt seems unfamiliar to me, but the fact that the fittings on the hilt includes a small attatchment shaped like the buddha makes me think that this may not have ended its tenure as a weapon in use with Moro hands.

Also, the hilt does not seem familiar to me at all. I am very interested to hear and learn from all of you about where this kris could have ended up that it would look like this in the end.

Perhaps also find out what the blade shape would be originally for a hilt of whatever culture this rehilt job came from.

Thanks, thought I'd share 'cause I like unusual piecesand I am a sucker for twistcore stuff.

I have attached pictures, but bigger pics can be seen here:

http://i48.tinypic.com/33ynhcg.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/30vj0io.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/34q7o8o.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2n9gvbn.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/352rhhx.jpg
Attached Images

Last edited by ThePepperSkull; 9th June 2012 at 07:00 PM.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 10:10 PM   #2
kai

Congrats, that's really a neat find! Looks like an early 20th c. (or possibly turn of the century) kalis taluseko to me.

Toss the pommel and grip binding (possibly everything except the ferrule and asang-asang); IMHO it looks like a unqualified western repair. Lucky you - a complete piece would have demanded a much higher price...

And please post pics after you gave the blade a good cleaning and etching!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

I'm with Kai on this one. I also agree - keep the baka-baka and the ferrule, lose the rest of the hilt. However, I might say slightly older, perhaps no earlier than the 1860s?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 09:17 PM   #4
ThePepperSkull

Thanks for the info, gents!

I was thinking of keeping the ferrule and baca-baca, and replacing the rest of the hilt with a simple narra kakatua pommeled hilt with wrapping laquered black.

I thought the hilt it had on now may have been a hilt form from another culture, but seeing as it is a western repair/re-hilt, I won't feel bad getting rid of the rest of it.

Although, the metal buddha, etc pieces on the grip remind me of Japanese menuki. Possibly from a smaller blade like a tanto. Does anyone know if the buddha was a common type of menuki form used? I know the fudo myo-o was a figure that featured in a lot of old katana menuki, but the buddha I am not sure of.
Old 12th June 2012, 02:23 AM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I PERSONALLY WOULD LOOK INTO THIS ITEM A BIT MORE BEFORE I RUSHED TO DISCARDED THE CURRENT HANDLE AND MAKE IT MORE NORMAL. AT PRESENT IT IS UNIQUE AND FROM THE PICTURES THE HANDLE DOSEN'T LOOK LIKE SOME RECENT POORLY DONE JOB BY AN UNSKILLED WESTERNER. HOW IS THE BALANCE DOES THE HANDLE FIT THE BLADE PROPERLY FOR ACTUAL USE IN BATTLE. I WOULD THINK IT IS MORE LIKELY TO BE OF ASIAN DESIGN AND BUDHIST SPECIFICALLY. CHECK THE TWO DECORATIVE BUTTONS AS WELL AS THEY MAY BE OF SOME SIGNIFICANCE. THE CORD OR WIRE MAY SHED SOME INFORMATION AS WELL, IS IT SILK?. WITH A BIT OF RESEARCH SOME OF THIS KRIS STORY MAY BE REAVEALED. WITH A NEW HANDLE YOU WILL HAVE ANOTHER NICE BLADE WITH A NEW HANDLE. AT PRESENT IT MAY NOT BE OF ABSOLUTE PURE FORM BUT IT IS A BIT OF A MYSTERY. IS THE WORKMANSHIP GOOD AND ARE THE METAL FITTINGS CHEAP OR DO THEY SHOW AGE AND GOOD WORKMANSHIP THIS SHOULD HELP TO DETERMINE YOUR COURSE OF ACTION. NICE ONE I LIKE IT.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 07:16 AM   #6
ThePepperSkull

If it is indeed a hilt form from another culture, I will do my research and see what i can come up with.

Perhaps if I plan on restoring the Kris with cultural-approriate hilt, I will keep the old hilt intact as well. Perhaps try and find a blade more suited for it?

Or I may go with your suggestion, Vandoo, and just keep it as it is. If the hilt is indeed a distinct ethnographic form as opposed to a western replacement, it's bound to have an interesting story to it. If only these blades would speak.