Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th October 2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Bill M

Default African Yaka? Bow.

Yaka (?) Bow. Seller thought it was "pygmy." Though it is small at 36 inches (arrows about 21"), I think it is Yaka.

The arrow heads are iron/steel, very well made and beautiful, but strange, shapes.

In my studies of arrow heads from various primitive cultures, I have found that many small game arrows were designed to stun, but not kill the prey. With no refrigeration to keep meat from spoiling it was best to keep food alive until ready to be eaten.

Would like to know if anyone has any knowledge about this set?

The current seller is a friend of the son of the guy who originally collected it back in the 1940's. See picture. Don't know if the small black figure is a man or a child. The picture was in the quiver. The seller claims it is the guy who originally collected it.

Arrows and bow have good patina and I think have some age.
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Flavio

Hi Bill,

the bow is sure Yaka, I don't about arrows.

Flavio
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 04:08 PM   #3
katana

Hi Bill ,
very nice . In the 'group photo' of the arrow heads ...the 3rd in the first row and the last in the bottom row, I believe , are used to shoot birds whilst in a tree. The heads are less likely to embed in the branches (if the bird is missed) and their slightly heavier weight helps them to fall back through the branches more readily)

Another reason for a number of heads to be fairly wide, rather than 'needle pointed' is to prevent the arrow penetrating too deeply. Thus an animal shot falling through the branches would be less likely to be caught up 'in the tree' as the arrow would be more easily dislodged during the fall.

Certainly seems to have a 'head' for every occasion .... likely for hunting in the forest/jungle .... than open terrain.

I especially like the 'nocking' (notch) ...is that flattened iron wire ?

Kind Regards David

PS the 'holly leafed' arrowhead is a bit of a mystery
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 06:31 PM   #4
Freddy

Thumbs up

Nice set.

I think this set is from the Luba-tribe. I looked in two books : Dodelijk mooi (Deadly beauty) and Ijzerwerk van Centraal-Afrika (Ironwork from Central-Africa.

The information I got out of these two works point to Luba. In the first book a drawing shows a bow with similar pieces of wood at each end.

The second one shows some drawings of different forms of arrowheads, similar to the ones you have.

Nevertheless, in the book Waffen aus Zentral-Afrika (weapons from Central-Africa) a similar bow is depicted, attributed to the Yaka.

So, I'm confused now.

I know that a recently a book was published on African arrows. I lost the title, but perhaps another forum member has it and can help.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

Well done Bill

Here is a pic from Christopher Springs book which sows a similar bow and arrows.

Lew
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 07:14 PM   #6
Luc LEFEBVRE

Hello Bill,
This kind of bow is described as pygmy, but they live in the middle of the Bantu People, so this bow is also used by Luba, Kuba and others.
Arrows are a strange set, a mix of Kuba, Luba even Tchokwe forms.
The color pics are from "Ata Epe bogen und Pfeile Afrikas".
Sprechen sie Deutch Bill ?
And the other from "Ijzerwerk van Centraal-Afrika" the arrows are described as Mbala, Tschokwe, Lele, Ngul, Kuba and Luba, and in "Beauté Fatale" you can see some bows, one described Luba.
As Freddy said in "Waffen aus Zentral-Afrika" the bow is described as Yaka, they are Bantu people also with pygmy not far.
Luc
Attached Images

Luc LEFEBVRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 03:27 PM   #7
Bill M

WOW! What a lot of great information! Thanks especially to Lew and Luc for the images.

The binding of the nocks is mostly flattened wire, though some have rattan. The nocks do fit the bowstring.

I will post additional pictures of the bow as it is wrapped with rattan.
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:57 AM   #8
Gonzalo G

Hi Bill, very nice set. Maybe some arrow can be used to fish, but this is only speculation. The form of the bow, neverthless, is different form the ones illustrated. It looks like more "advanced" design, as the recurved form gives less set when tensed and more power per inch on lenght.
Regards

Gonzalo
Gonzalo G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 01:44 PM   #9
Andrew

Bill, did you buy this set?
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 01:51 PM   #10
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Bill, did you buy this set?
Yes.
Old 22nd October 2008, 02:06 PM   #11
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Yes.
Nice.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 01:16 PM   #12
Nonoy Tan

Very nice arrows, Bill.

The variety and design of arrows seem endless. Those arrowheads are very interesting and hope to see more examples of them.

I recall a arrow (purchased while in Rwanda) with an arrowhead made of an oblong-shaped seed - used for stunning (not piercing) small prey.

In my country, the Philippines, we have at least 50 known arrow-types - each used differently depending on prey, size of prey, wet or dry season, distance of target, battle or hunt, etc., etc. even as brides-price!
Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 01:52 PM   #13
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoy Tan
In my country, the Philippines, we have at least 50 known arrow-types - each used differently depending on prey, size of prey, wet or dry season, distance of target, battle or hunt, etc., etc. even as brides-price!

Hello Nonoy,

Speaking of "brides-price" there are also a multitude of different arrows in the Papua New Guinea cultures. One of these arrow heads is designed for shooting the wife in the leg as a reminder of the husband's authority over her. The arrow head is designed to hurt, but not penetrate her leg.

Another variety of arrow head is used by two men having a dispute between them. They step off a number of paces and take turns shooting each other in the legs with non-penetrating arrow heads. This is considered an honorable way to settle arguments.

Maybe this cuts down on lawsuits
Old 23rd October 2008, 03:55 PM   #14
Nonoy Tan

Hi Bill,

That is fascinating! Such stories really make weapon objects worth preserving! Thank you.

Nonoy
Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote