Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th May 2008, 09:06 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Smile YET ANOTHER DHA!!

Have just won this one off Ebay. Any thoughts as to origins? Was listed as Thai Executioners Sword---don't think so!!..........but could be wrong. Pics are from listing.
Regards Stuart
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 06:48 PM   #2
Mark

Odd pommel, but I would say Shan States (Burma) or northern Thailand. I've never seen one quite like it. I suppose that it could be an executioner's sword, though I do not think that any particular features make one such, just how it was actually used. In other words, while dha/daab were certainly used by executioners, as far as I know there is no such thing as an "executioner" style dha, as you have with keris for instance. They just used any ol' dha they had.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 06:34 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Default SIMILAR POMMEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Odd pommel, but I would say Shan States (Burma) or northern Thailand. I've never seen one quite like it. I suppose that it could be an executioner's sword, though I do not think that any particular features make one such, just how it was actually used. In other words, while dha/daab were certainly used by executioners, as far as I know there is no such thing as an "executioner" style dha, as you have with keris for instance. They just used any ol' dha they had.
Hi Mark,
Thanks for your comments. I have another (which I think you have seen before on this Forum) which has a very similar pommel. This one is a dagger/knife. I seem to remember you identified this one as of Shan origin also.
Regards Stuart
Attached Images

Old 7th May 2008, 12:03 PM   #4
PUFF

Location: 30 miles north of Bangkok, 20 miles south of Ayuthaya, Thailand

I happen to have an example of executioner 's sword.
It 's the 3rd one from top. The sword was used by an executioner 100-150 years ago in central Thailand. It was kept by his family and then transfer to a collector.
By handling, it 's a little heavier than ordinary type. It could be because of that its POB 's a bit toward the tip. My feeling 's the sword 's definitely made for hacking job.

PUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 05:10 AM   #5
kahnjar1

Default Not here yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUFF
I happen to have an example of executioner 's sword.
It 's the 3rd one from top. The sword was used by an executioner 100-150 years ago in central Thailand. It was kept by his family and then transfer to a collector.
By handling, it 's a little heavier than ordinary type. It could be because of that its POB 's a bit toward the tip. My feeling 's the sword 's definitely made for hacking job.

Thanks Puff,
Unfortunately I have not receuived the item yet so can't comment on the balance. Blade shape appears similar to your executioners dha. I will comment further when it arrives.R
Regards Stuart
Old 8th May 2008, 06:30 PM   #6
Mark

Those two make a nice pair, Stuart. The pommel and decoration have a Lanna/Laotian flavor to them - smaller pommel, chased/repouseed metalwork, somewhat bolder patterns. Perhaps they are from further east than what I typically refer to as "Shan" territory. If so, they make a nice stylistic transition from the western Tai (Shan) styles to the more eastern Tai Yuan styles. Perhaps PUFF can offer more insight on this.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote