Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th September 2008, 05:21 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Ancient lance

Having posted this piece over two years ago in the Forum, its identification wasn't conclusive.
Then i showed it to someone with knowledge in antique weapons, although not necessarily on this type of pieces; he has dated it 16th century and called it a hunting lance. I didn't ask his opinnion on its provenance, as i had previously assumed it is Portuguese; at least it was acquired by the seller in a street fair, in the interior north of the country.
I empiricaly found the date quite plausible, due to the blade rusticity and the incomplete haft, all damaged by worms and with an intense patina, which i stupidly washed out with the overuse of worm killer liquid .
The most amazing part is the way the blade is made; it is reinforced with an extra longitudinal plate, heat welded to the basis, but only in half of it. Each face is reinforced in the contrary half side.
Anyone here familiar with this type of items ?
Could this actually be an ancient Portuguese home made Ascuma (hunting lance)?
Coments will be so much wellcome.
Fernando

Blade length 34 cms. including socket. Width 7 cms. The haft stump is 4 cms. in diameter and still measures 67 cms. in length.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Ed

Hi.

I would bet that it is a hunting spear for the simple reason that there are no langnettes (integral straps that extend down the sides of the haft to prevent a sword stroke from severing the head. Again, such things could be separate pieces.

I've made something of a study of peasant weapons and the one truth that I have found is that virtually anything can be used to kill our fellow man.

The page below is from Mario Troso's book "Le Armi in Asta" which is the definitive modern study of polearms.
Attached Images

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 06:45 PM   #3
katana

Hi Fernando ,

Not another piece of rusty old metal

I believe that 'heavy' lances tended to have a diameter of 1.5" - 2" (28mm -50mm) with this having a diameter of 40mm it is well within range. Therefore it would seem to be too 'heavy duty' for hunting. Also many hunting spears/lances had two projections behind the 'head' to prevent spearing the animal too deeply and allowed the user to 'push / hold' the prey (especially wild boars/pigs that had a fearsome reputation.)

I am certain early versions of head did not all have 'protective langets'. The lance was later adopted by foot soldiers, but the shafts lenghened (Pikes) these were prevalent during the 15th, 16th and 17th C and were highly effective. Because of the increased length ..the shaft diameter was also quite thick to prevent 'flexing'. As many pike men were 'enlisted' peasants .... many pike heads were made by 'local blacksmiths' and designs varied slightly. The re-inforced blade would be ideal against a cavalry charge and it would be extremely difficult for a horseman to cut off the head with a sword whilst riding at any speed .....plus it would be likely the cavalry would charge with lances.

Regards David

PS The shafts of lances of the period were usuall made of ash, though cedar and poplar are also mentioned, the shaft of yours does look like ash ...
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 07:00 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

I guess that, if we focus our eyes to it as being a robust rural implement, we find it no too heavy for a hunting lance. Besides, i take it that pikes and war lances are more pointy and slimer.
According to what i have read in this book of mine, bear hunters had them so 'heavy duty' that the heads could be disassembled, for handier reasons, and carried at the waist, in leather pouches, only mounting them when arriving at the hunting places.
The crosslets behind the head, called here 'travincas' (small beams), 'orelhas' (ears) or 'billetes' (a galicism), were popularized in Portugal since the realm of Afonso III (1245-79), although such device was known since classic antiquity( as referred by Sílico Italico, Pollux and Grattius). Local 'travincas' could be forged as part of the blade, or being made in various materials, like wood, horn, bone or iron, fixed to the blade or the shaft with crossed leather straps. So unless these travincas were part of the blade, would not remain in place after all this time.
At the base of the blade they used to attach pieces of cloth, with flocks or hair tufts, to protect the hand from sliping with the animal's blood. It could be that the small nail like pins on this blade socket had that purpose.
Also the shafts had crossed or spiral strips of leather, and even nail heads along their length, to allow for a better hand hold at the charge.
Lances for the bear were allways longer than the ones for pigs; the first with 2,5 to 3 mts. and the late 2 to 2,2 mts.; the variables applying to either mounted or foot using. Blades used to have 60 and 40 cms. respectively (with or without socket ?).
The woods used for hunting lances favoured by King Dom João I ( 1384) were hazel and osier. Ash was also one of the best. Actualy the Portuguese name for hunting lance is 'Ascuma', provenant from the old German 'Asc' (esche).
Hunting with lance was abandoned circa the end of XV century, being overtaken by the crossbow.
What in fact i keep expecting to learn is more on the metalurgic side ... like whether the particular way this blade is constructed may be 'classified' and considered an indicator of its age ... assuming it is indeed so old as XVI century.
Fernando

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote