Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th February 2024, 12:32 AM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Unusual Nigerian knife

Found at a recently concluded auction. This is said to be a traditional Yoruba ceremonial knife in bronze from Nigeria. Both the knife and sheath are made of the same metal, probably bronze or a similar alloy. The workmanship is good in terms of the detail in casting and filigree work, and the Yoruba are said to have skills in crafting objects from bronze. This is a fairly large piece: OAL 21 inches.

If anyone knows more about these knives or has comments on its use, I would appreciate hearing from you. All discussion welcome.

Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 4th February 2024 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2024, 02:50 AM   #2
Araña_del_Sol

Hi Ian,

This is a very nice dagger of the Vere or Bata people from eastern Nigeria and northern Cameroon. These daggers were purely ceremonial, the scabbard and hilt are entirely of cast brass. According to Chappel et al. (2021) the Vere word for dagger is "wek" and this variety with human heads and figures may have been called specifically "wek wan marus."

Here are other similar examples:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...highlight=Vere
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...highlight=Vere

source: Chappel et al. 2021. Surviving Works: context in Verre arts Part Two, Chapter Five: Towards a Verre catalogue raisonnée 5.4: Hoes and daggers

- ADS
Araña_del_Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2024, 03:02 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi ADS,
Thanks for the information. I'm going to look more carefully at the Cameroon/Nigerian border examples here and elsewhere to better understand these items. I find African knives increasingly interesting.
Old 4th February 2024, 04:26 AM   #4
Gavin Nugent

A lovely example Ian.

I only have one from the region, I don't see then that often. It's a fine looking example you have, very detailed. Is the blade bronze too?
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2024, 04:53 AM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Gavin,
I think the blade is also bronze. This is indeed a nice example. Unfortunately, it's not mine. I was the under bidder. I hope someone here managed to acquire it. I like your example also -- a small blade for such as long hilt