Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th August 2005, 01:17 AM   #1
Bill

Default leather sheath

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1 I'm sure this one is not from the Philippines, but the sheath sure looks like the ones that come from 1900 Luzon. Was this type of sheath common in both 19thC Europe & America? Did the Filipinos copy from Americans or earlier, from the Spanish? Is the leather belt catch on wooden Visayan sheaths a copy from the leather sheaths of Luzon? Just trying to figure when that leather belt catch may have first appeared on PI sheaths.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 11:20 PM   #2
tom hyle

The one on the bowie is a bit decayed and I'm unsure exactly what's going on, structurally (then I am in a hurry). The tab type feature is seen on Mexican work, for sure, and is reminiscent of scabbard slides/catches from both Europe and Asia. The slanty belt loops commonly seen out of Luzon are essentially identical to Latin American suspensions, and seem to be derived of medieval European types.....random thoughts; no time..............wall phone socket thingy still broken...............
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2005, 01:17 AM   #3
Bill

Thanks Tom. I have read that when the Spanish were shipping gold & silver out of Mexico to Manila to trade with the Chinese; that they often used Filipino sailors. The Filipinos would sometimes jump ship & stay in Mexico, I assume the same might have happened in Spanish South American colonies. Couple that with sailors bartering thier knives & short swords, it would likely explain the simularities between Mexico & the Philippines.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2005, 02:23 AM   #4
Andrew

Cool

Now THAT's a knife!

Any real chance this is actually an early 19th century American Bowie?

Good to see you back, Tom.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2005, 01:26 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Bill:

As you note, there were strong direct ties between the Philippines and Mexico during the period of Spanish Colonial rule. Several governors of the Philippines came from Mexico.

One can find substantial similarities in the style of weapons used by colonists and adopted by local natives in each of these countries, such that a common "Spanish Colonial" style can be discerned, and this persists today. I have not read any account of the shared styles of edged weapons found among the Spanish colonies. Perhaps Marc or some of our other Spanish experts can shed some light on this.

Ian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Thanks Tom. I have read that when the Spanish were shipping gold & silver out of Mexico to Manila to trade with the Chinese; that they often used Filipino sailors. The Filipinos would sometimes jump ship & stay in Mexico, I assume the same might have happened in Spanish South American colonies. Couple that with sailors bartering thier knives & short swords, it would likely explain the simularities between Mexico & the Philippines.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote