Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th October 2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Jonno

Default Identification of a royal (family) with a Kris

Hello,

Here is an original old picture of an indonesian royal family.
Can someone help me to indentify the royal with the kris?

Thanks,
John
Attached Images

Jonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 12:09 PM   #2
kulbuntet

Ho Jonno,

What does the text under the photo say? regenten familie Java?

Since the knot of the head wrap is on front, i think they may ben conected to Solo Keraton. Maybe one of the Javanese forum members can help you more.

Regards Michel amsterdam
kulbuntet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Jonno

Hi Michel,

Yes, the text "Regenten Familie, Java" is written on the photo. There is also text on the backside. I will make a picture this evening.

Thanks,
John
Jonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 07:55 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

This probably won't help any since it is another unidentified photo, but as i was searching through google images for a match to your photo i came across this guy who looks like a relative to me.
Attached Images

David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 11:23 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Here's two pics of PBX --- Paku Buwono Senopati ing Ngalogo Ngabdul Rahman Sayidin Panotogomo the Tenth --- Susuhunan of Surakarta.

Might be a bit difficult to pin down exactly who the people in Jonno's photo are. If the bloke is a regent, I'd translate that as Bupati, and that would make him a pretty minor figure. Might carry royal blood, but Javanese royals are pretty prevalent. PB XII who passed away a couple of years ago had 15 legitimate sons and 20 legitimate daughters. Previous rulers of Surakarta were at least as prolific.

David's pic looks like PBX to me.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 11:32 PM   #6
A. G. Maisey

This is PB IX --- 1861-1893
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2022, 10:03 PM   #7
Amuk Murugul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonno View Post
Hello,

Here is an original old picture of an indonesian royal family.
Can someone help me to indentify the royal with the kris?

Thanks,
John
Hullo John!

A bit LATE, but I hope it's still of use to somebody.
The photos are of Pangéran Radén Adipati Aria PrawiraDiradja II (regent, Keboepatén Tjiandjoer, 1861-1910) and family.

Best,

Last edited by Amuk Murugul; 13th October 2022 at 10:21 PM.
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2022, 02:44 AM   #8
jagabuwana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuk Murugul View Post
Hullo John!

A bit LATE, but I hope it's still of use to somebody.
The photos are of Pangéran Radén Adipati Aria PrawiraDiradja II (regent, Keboepatén Tjiandjoer, 1861-1910) and family.

Best,
I thought this initially too. But I am now skeptical. I don't think Prawiradireja II was ever this portly a man. Attached is probably one of the younger photos we have of him. I don't believe it's the same man as the one in the original post.

The photo appears to be in the Tropenmuseum's collection as item TM-60025948 with the description "Regent van Serang-Bantam (1888) met Familie". See: https://collectie.wereldculturen.nl/...9-31638051b632

According to wikipedia, the regent of Serang in 1888 was R. T. Soetadiningrat Murwan. I cannot find a better source than this, and there doesn't appear to be any other photos to corroborate. But I am confident that it is not the Regent of Cianjur.

I have posted other photos of Prawiradirja II in this thread here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24136

If it is true that we're looking at different people, the keris dress - especially the handle - bears similarities. It is a pistol grip shape, though the angled portion is quite short. I wonder if this was in style at the time for Sundanese regents.
Attached Images

jagabuwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2022, 10:32 PM   #9
Amuk Murugul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagabuwana View Post
I thought this initially too. But I am now skeptical. I don't think Prawiradireja II was ever this portly a man. Attached is probably one of the younger photos we have of him. I don't believe it's the same man as the one in the original post.

The photo appears to be in the Tropenmuseum's collection as item TM-60025948 with the description "Regent van Serang-Bantam (1888) met Familie". See: https://collectie.wereldculturen.nl/...9-31638051b632

According to wikipedia, the regent of Serang in 1888 was R. T. Soetadiningrat Murwan. I cannot find a better source than this, and there doesn't appear to be any other photos to corroborate. But I am confident that it is not the Regent of Cianjur.

I have posted other photos of Prawiradirja II in this thread here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24136

If it is true that we're looking at different people, the keris dress - especially the handle - bears similarities. It is a pistol grip shape, though the angled portion is quite short. I wonder if this was in style at the time for Sundanese regents.
Hullo jagabuwana!

You are correct.
My apologies to everybody.
I should’ve been more thorough.
I got the name from two separate websites, so I thought it was OK.
Anyway, I had to dig into my archives.

Your first ref. only mentions Bantam 1888.
So here are my likely candidates:

Lebak:RA SoetaNataNingrat (1881-1907)

PandéGelang:RT SoetaDiNingrat (1870-1888)
RT Abdoel Gafoer SoeraWinangoen (1888-1898)

Sérang:RT Pandji GondoKoesoemo (1870-1888)
RT SoetaDiNingrat (Moerwan)(1888-1893)

I am posting a photo of a Banten boepati taken around 01/01/1888-31/12/1907. Could it be him? Unfortunately, no names.

I am also posting a photo taken in 1901 of PaRahyangan boepatis:

L->R:
• PgA SoeriaAtmadja - Soemedang,30/12/1882-17/04/1919
• RAA WiraTanoeDatar VIII - Limbangan Garoet, 16/07/1871-06/09/1913
• RAA PrawiraDiRadja II - TjiAndjoer, 24/08/1864-10/12/1912
• RAA WiraAdiNingrat - SoekaPoera (ManonDjaja), 29/11/1875-31/01/1901
• RT MartaNagara - Bandoeng, 27/06/1893-19/03/1920

Best,
Attached Images

Last edited by Amuk Murugul; 19th October 2022 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 20th October 2022, 01:29 AM   #10
jagabuwana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuk Murugul View Post
Hullo jagabuwana!

You are correct.
My apologies to everybody.
I should’ve been more thorough.
I got the name from two separate websites, so I thought it was OK.
Anyway, I had to dig into my archives.

Your first ref. only mentions Bantam 1888.
So here are my likely candidates:
Hello kang Amuk. No apologies necessary

Looks like my link just takes you back to the source page of the page I really intended to reference. But if you click on the photo, it will take you to a page with more details and it says "Regent van Serang-Bantam (1888) met Familie".

Thank you for sharing those photos. I'm always fascinated by the variation of style in both clothing and keris across the different Sunda regencies, in the same period. The difference between the keris dress of Prawiradireja II and Wiradiningrat really sticks out - the former with what appears to be a Solo gayaman wrangka and the latter with one that might not be of a style from Java. Though they did seem to agree on wearing it nganggar style, which I think became known to be common in Sunda when keris are worn.

I think it's insightful and goes to show that there was no central or higher cultural authority in Sunda to codify conventions and customs. I think Sumedang Larang probably thought they had a claim to this given their history with the fall of Pajajaran but by the time they were all vassalised by Mataram it seems that Javanese style became that which was associated with high culture and a refined elite. The exception to this is perhaps the advances in the arts that are attributed Prawiradireja II's father, Kusumaningrat, who thanks to his patronage created a style of music that is now probably one of Sunda culture's most recognisable artefact - tembang Sunda.

It is a shame that we know so little detail about Sundanese court art, dress and conventions from before Sunda fell to Banten, especially where the keris is concerned.
jagabuwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2022, 02:57 AM   #11
Amuk Murugul

Default And the winner is .........

Hullo everybody!

I am confident that the person in post#1 is RTPandji GondoKoesoemo.
The reason I was hesitant was that the photo in my post#25 (RT SoetaDiNingrat) looked similar.
It turns out that SoetaDiNingrat was the nephew of GondoKoesoemo (photo attached).

Best,
Attached Images