Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 20th October 2005, 07:37 PM   #1
Andy Davis

Default Interesting tulwar

Pretty basic in design and not unusual but I havent come across many with brass handles, that havent been the decorative wall hangers. This is not one of those. Solidly built and very crisp decoration but whats with the design?
Two fish, nose to tail enclosing the numbers 341
Anyone come acorss similar before?
Cheers
Andy
Attached Images

Andy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 03:21 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Andy,

You are right, it is not so often one sees a brass tulwar hilt, and to see one with a fish decoration like the one you show, placed on the square (chowk), is even more seldom, but I have seen one not so long ago. The hilt was of steel, covered in a floral decoration in relief with gold koft gari. There were two small silver plates, one on the square with two fish like yours in relief, but without a number, and one higher up on the hilt showing a flower. From the decoration on the hilt, I would say it was from North India.

In Nepal and North India the fish represent the first reincarnation of Vishnu, and is associated directly to him. The fish was worshipped all over India, but in some places more than in others.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 04:33 PM   #3
B.I

hi andy,
as both you and jens say, it isnt often you find a brass hilt of pure tulwar form. i like it and its simplicity. its form is actually good quality and it reeks of north india, and the decorative solid silver hilts.
the european numbers hint at an armoury of sorts, and i wonder if the fish design was not done at the same time (ie. by european hands). as jens noted, the dual fish is an indian symbol, but also found in europe. do you feel the numbers were inserted between the fish design, or incorporated as part of the design?
either way, its a nice find.
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 10:06 AM   #4
Andy Davis

Default Photos dont tell it well

With such a basic style its hard to give the best impression of an item sometimes. This is one of those! So crisply built and with a very usable weight. Looking at the fish and the number. I would say both seem to be contemporary to the build of the sword, looking in comparison to the workmanship and wear to the engraving on the langlet. Therefore, original arsnel mark for somewhere under European influence. Early enough for Dutch or French region? or more likely to be a British area?
Cheers
Amdy
Andy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote