Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st September 2005, 10:12 PM   #1
kai

Thumbs up Sele from Makassar (Keris Bugis)

This is a really small dagger which I like a lot! I hope the other keris folks will enjoy it, too...

These are often referred to as boy's or women's keris although the nice kemuning hilt of this example is not undersized. I'd love to hear first-hand stories of their relevance in Bugis culture. BTW, is Dendiyar back from the mountains?

I'm a bit stumped regarding the scabbard which seems very "utilitarian" compared to other Bugis pieces. It's made from very light wood - maybe pine?!? Assuming that one day I may want to upgrade the scabbard (and pendoko) what would be the most appropriate style for this blade? Pics of actual examples (possibly for blades of this small size) would be greatly appreciated!

There are a few rust spots which I'm going to tackle by electrolytic rust removal. The dry wood of the scabbard could use some boiled linseed oil, I guess. Any veto or suggestions what else to fix/exchange while I'm at it? General comments very welcome, too!

This sele also came with a story: The former owner was invited to eat at the home of a chess acquaintance in Ujung Pandang. There he chanced over a small keris collection. Bold as longnoses sometimes are, he asked wether the host might be interested to part from a keris or two but was going to be turned down by him. However, his wife happened to vote for the money - the ultimate nightmare of married collectors (some of us can relate to that)... [I like the thought that the poor husband had his wits about him and sold off a blade from his wife's lineage! ]

Regards,
Kai

(blade pics: hilt turned for photography...)
Attached Images

kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2005, 10:17 PM   #2
kai

Smile close-ups

(left side)
Attached Images

Old 1st September 2005, 10:19 PM   #3
kai

Smile more close-ups

(right side)
Attached Images

Old 1st September 2005, 11:08 PM   #4
kai

Red face

Sorry, measurements to follow soon...
Old 2nd September 2005, 12:07 AM   #5
kai

Question Faux pas?

BTW, I assume that this keris is Makassarese? If so, is it politically correct to pigeon-hole it as a "Keris Bugis" or is there a more suitable catch-all term?
Old 2nd September 2005, 03:08 AM   #6
Alam Shah

Hi Kai,

The blade looks like a javanese patrem with it's thin and longer ganja.
It looks as though it was reshaped from a longer piece. The pamor lines
does not flow with the luks.
(I have a javanese patrem, of a different form. See here).

The blade and the sandang walikat sheath form looks complementary to each other.

In your assembly, the hilt and pendokok (hilt cup) looks a little 'out of place'.
Without the longer 'neck' of the pendokok, the hilt would probably would not
fit the entire length of the peksi. The hulu and pendokok is of the Sulawesi (Celebes) form.

I have a short Sulawesi keris with a mini tebeng-styled sheath. See it here.
(The sheath is complementary to the form. But don't follow my pendokok . Wrong styled. Mine is a peninsular styled pendokok.)

Nevertheless, should you decide to change the sheath, I would recommend a tebeng-styled sheath or another Sulawesi form (see here).

Feel free to disagree.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2005, 03:59 PM   #7
Henk

Kai, Alam Shah is right. The blade is a javanese one. Javanese blades were highly apreciated so it is no surprise that you see javanese blades mounted as a buginese keris.

But i don't think yours is a bugis. The walikat sandang sheath is more javanese and the uikiran is too large for this blade. I guess that the previous owner replaced it. Maybe you can find a small ukiran for a patrem to complete its javanese origin.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2005, 02:40 AM   #8
Alam Shah

A Jogya styled sheath, hulu and mendak would look nice and elegant for your piece. Just a suggestion. (See my example).
Old 4th September 2005, 04:52 AM   #9
RobT

Default electrolytic rust removal

Hello Kai,
Could you describe the process of electrolytic rust removal or direct me to a source of information for same? I would really like to try out the method.
Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2005, 11:35 PM   #10
kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT
Could you describe the process of electrolytic rust removal or direct me to a source of information for same?
Hi Rob,

I just started a new thread on this method so that others can join in...
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?p=14089

Regards,
Kai
Old 5th September 2005, 12:16 AM   #11
kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
The blade looks like a javanese patrem with it's thin and longer ganja. It looks as though it was reshaped from a longer piece. The pamor lines does not flow with the luks.
Thanks, mas Alam! I've been wondering about the pamor flow, too. However, if the shortening would have been done in Jawa, why were the original shape modified, especially since this can't be hidden with a pamor miring blade?

Quote:
In your assembly, the hilt and pendokok (hilt cup) looks a little 'out of place'. Without the longer 'neck' of the pendokok, the hilt would probably would not fit the entire length of the peksi.
Yup, the peksi is 53 mm (2.1") long. The blade is only 175 mm (6.9")!

Quote:
Feel free to disagree.
No need to, I guess...

Regards,
Kai
Old 5th September 2005, 12:34 AM   #12
kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk
But i don't think yours is a bugis. The walikat sandang sheath is more javanese and the uikiran is too large for this blade.
Hi Henk,

What kind of wood would this be if of Javanese origin? (It's carved pretty crudely and the wood is very light.) AFAIK, there are no pines on Jawa but they are native to Sulawesi (mountain peaks)...

As given above, the blade is really stubby. The Sulawesi hilt is of average size, give or take. The whole assembly is feels more like a Moro gunong than the more graceful keris patrem I've seen pics of!

Regards,
Kai
Old 6th September 2005, 01:01 AM   #13
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Thanks, mas Alam! I've been wondering about the pamor flow, too. However, if the shortening would have been done in Jawa, why were the original shape modified, especially since this can't be hidden with a pamor miring blade?

Yup, the peksi is 53 mm (2.1") long. The blade is only 175 mm (6.9")!

Regards,
Kai
This is just a guess. For a keris to be used for a boy or woman, it would be cheaper to do the modification from an existing blade than commissioning a new piece (a patrem). For the sheath, it might be a "make-do" piece to accommodate the new form (after mod.).

Last edited by Alam Shah; 6th September 2005 at 03:40 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 6th September 2005, 01:26 AM   #14
kai

Quote:
This is just a guess. For a keris to be used for a boy or woman, it would be cheaper to do the modification from an existing blade than commissioning a new piece (a patrem).
This would be a severe breach of rule #1: Never cheap out on your wife...

What I meant though: Why would one want to narrow down the original luks and thereby messing with the pamor miring instead of just shortening the blade?

Regards,
Kai
Old 6th September 2005, 04:23 AM   #15
Alam Shah

Default stealth use...

I guess, smaller blade is easier to conceal and use, for women (or men), in close quarters engagement. That's what patrems are for.
Old 6th September 2005, 02:00 PM   #16
kai

Quote:
I guess, smaller blade is easier to conceal and use, for women (or men), in close quarters engagement. That's what patrems are for.
Yup, that's why I compared it to a Moro gunong.

However, I still don't see why it would be preferable (from a functional POV) to "smooth out" the originally broader luk since the total width of the blade doesn't seem limiting to me. If a more slender blade is the main goal, just grind off both edges equally (following the pamor) and, thus, preserve the original shape/proportions. So, is the actually seen change of blade proportions/design some sort of traditional dapur "requirement" for keris Jawa? Of course, it's much easier to rework a pamor mlumah (tiban) blade but I have problems to imagine that a bladesmith would compromise a nice pamor miring for anything but a very good reason... Any ideas?

Regards,
Kai
Old 6th September 2005, 04:12 PM   #17
Alam Shah

Beats me? I don't know why it is done that way. Only assumptions.
The outer part of the luks are more prone to rust and corrosion. It might be a reason. Just guessing.
Old 6th September 2005, 07:21 PM   #18
Henk

Kai,

I'm not very good on wood species. Certainly not from pictures. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be a sheath made by someone who isn't a sheathcarver at all. Maybe the previous european owner. The form is a walikat sandang but not very elegant as a walikat sandang should be. It could be very well made of pine wood. In that case my theorie could come very close to the truth.

The blade could be shortenend very well. There are some signs to it. The proportions of the prabot are to big for the length of the blade. And the blade is to broad in comparison to its length
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 10:13 PM   #19
kai

Default BTTT

Hello Henk,

Sorry for forgetting to answer!

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be a sheath made by someone who isn't a sheathcarver at all. Maybe the previous european owner.
Yes, I agree that the scabbard is badly/sloppily done. However, the former owner still resides in Indonesia and it wouldn't make any sense to obtain/use European pine wood when decent woods can be easily obtained locally...

Quote:
The blade could be shortenend very well. There are some signs to it. The proportions of the prabot are to big for the length of the blade. And the blade is to broad in comparison to its length
Exactly. I'm sure that the blade was redone (and shortened). I'm still wondering about the style in which this was done though. It seems to be off for any aesthetic standards on Jawa AFAIK. It seems a bit closer to the macho-esque appearance of many Sulawesi keris blades though...

Any other insights from our friends experienced in things Jawa (or Sulawesi!)? Thanks!

Regards,
Kai
Old 13th July 2007, 12:38 PM   #20
possum

Arrow kai

looks like the blade, the hilt, hilt cup and the sheath are from different origins. from the photos ... looks like the sheath should be bigger than the one you have, the hilt should be smaller.

keris bugis is definitely not .... it is extremely rare for a keris to be "lok 3". usually keris lok 3 is used by womens. it is easier to conceal them.

sometime keris lok 3 is being used as a house for the spirits or khadams to protect the owner of the keris.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 03:20 PM   #21
PenangsangII

Dear Possum & other keris lovers,

On the contrary, Lok 3 keris are produced more compare to lok 5, 7 & so on as according to Malay's belief, the more loks the keris is, the higher the position the bearer (and more talismanic values). However, since lok 3 was reserved to the lowest ranking courtiers, they are not really appealing to current collectors due to obvious reasons, furthermore, most of the lower ranking courtiers, after their retirement, mostly they just disappeared (because they were less significant) thus less we see lok 3 keris nowadays. This principle does not apply however, to straight blades.
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 12:25 AM   #22
kai

Hello all,

Thanks for the continued input!

I agree that this is a really weird piece (and very likely a mix from different sources). I kinda like odd-balls though...

I'm not looking for high praise but rather would like to understand why this very basic keris ended up like it did and how this relates to local use/customs/etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum
looks like the blade, the hilt, hilt cup and the sheath are from different origins. from the photos ... looks like the sheath should be bigger than the one you have, the hilt should be smaller.
Yes, I agree that the scabbard is pretty much rubbish and was never meant to be worn openly. It's also the youngest part of the ensemble with the "pendokok" probably a close second. The hulu seems to be of decent quality though. Can we ascertain that the blade is/was Javanese?

Quote:
keris bugis is definitely not ....
I have typical keris Bugis and the difference is obvious, of course. However, can we really rule out that this blade got modified and used in Sulawesi?

Quote:
it is extremely rare for a keris to be "lok 3". usually keris lok 3 is used by womens. it is easier to conceal them.
I'm certain this blade had more luk originally. However, the way the blade got reshaped seems to suggest that concealment may have been the main aim, doesn't it? The scabbard may support this but, considering its doubtful status, I admit that this is a weak point.

Any additional insights?

Regards,
Kai