Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th August 2014, 08:18 PM   #1
blue lander

Default Marks on a sudanese arm dagger

Do they mean anything? The waves at the top of the blade look decorational, but the marks towards the hilt seem to be writing or something. They're different on each side. I read through this thread, and it seems the markings are pre-islamic talismans.

Any general comments about this dagger would be appreciated as well. I assume it's quite modern. The hilt appears to be painted black or shellacked or something. The tang goes all the way through and is peened. The scabbard's leather, no metal in it, and the white bits are hard like rawhide. There's also a copper wire with a loop at the end attached to the throat of the sheath. Not sure if that's where they put the price tag or if it served some functional purpose. The blade's very sharp.
Attached Images

Last edited by blue lander; 13th August 2014 at 09:26 PM.
blue lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 10:29 PM   #2
Edster

Blue Lander,

The knife handle looks like Kassala style, with the design similar to what the Rashaida Arabs in the region. Could be painted all black to simulate ebony or totally black piece of African Black Wood.

See man holding similar handled knife in link.
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-B8M...n-Kassala.html

Have no experience with blade markings as on your knife. Could be a maker's mark or has some symbolic meaning. Some blades like yours are made from steel shipping crate bands and are very sharp!!

The sheath isn't of the Kassala style, but more from the upper White Nile Valley. Kassala knives are/were exported throughout much of Sudan so I suspect that the knife and sheath were mated by a buyer maybe in Khartoum.

Hope this helps,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 10:48 PM   #3
blue lander

Indeed, the blade is very sharp and toothy especially towards the hilt, I'm very careful when handling it.

The "slot" in the hilt is a bit wider than the blade itself so you can see a bit of the inside of the hilt. It's black in there too, which leads me to believe it's African Black Wood. Either that or they dipped the entire hilt in black paint so the inside was coated as well. I don't know how to test either way other than chipping a bit of the surface off in an inconspicuous place. I could cover it back up with black nail polish if it turns out to be paint. The seller said it was ebony but I highly doubt that.

Thank you for the information! You've given me a lot of new regions/peoples to google.

Edit: I scraped a tiny bit near where the blade meets the hilt. It's definitely paint. The wood underneath is brown.
Old 14th August 2014, 03:41 AM   #4
drac2k

Nice knife.I know this is absurd, but the markings look like the space hunter's "Predator," script as first encountered by "Dutch."
Yes I know, I've lost what little credibility I had by this comment.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 02:43 PM   #5
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k
Nice knife.I know this is absurd, but the markings look like the space hunter's "Predator," script as first encountered by "Dutch."
Yes I know, I've lost what little credibility I had by this comment.
Exactly what I thought when I saw this xD
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 05:17 PM   #6
blue lander

Hmm, you're right. Maybe the blade maker was a fan of the movie.

I haven't seen the movies in awhile, but didn't the Predators exclusively visit war torn areas like Sudan?