estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Another Ottoman Dharia from Hijaz, from a Forum member
similar to these ones
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=kubur
yours,
Kubur
Is there anything about this one that would identify it as being Ottoman?
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 02:19 PM   #3
Kubur

Yep
Have a look on recent (or even) old books on Islamic arms.
You will see the same kind of blades and the same design on scabbards of daggers and swords attributed to the Ottomans and 19th c.
The criteria are the quality of the blade, the decorations on the blade, the decorations and motives on the handle and scabbard...
The Ottomans ruled the Hijaz up to Yemen.
Now my question is :
This kind of dagger - dharia - Is it a local model 'reinvented' by the Ottomans living in Arabia?
Or the Ottomans brought with them this model of dagger who was then adopted by the locals in Arabia?
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 07:05 PM   #4
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Yep
Have a look on recent (or even) old books on Islamic arms.
You will see the same kind of blades and the same design on scabbards of daggers and swords attributed to the Ottomans and 19th c.
The criteria are the quality of the blade, the decorations on the blade, the decorations and motives on the handle and scabbard...
Could you provide an illustration or three from these new & old books, please Kuber? Not everyone may have them to hand.

Has the script been translated? That may prove interesting!

spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 11:22 PM   #5
kahnjar1

You MAY be correct in calling this an Ottoman Dharia, but to me the SCABBARD STYLE with the middle section of material (velvet??)covering, suggests Indian influence.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 12:24 AM   #6
ArmsAndAntiques

Attached are some photos of another example. The style of the silverwork coupled with the blade construction (the fortes of the blade being parallel with the handle and not beginning to angle at the ricasso like many Arabian daggers do) point it to being an Ottoman interpretation of a southern Arabian dharia jambiya, though I think one could call this example a khanjar as well. However in the absence of this style of silver work in Arabian examples, I would suggest that points it to someone who trained or worked in the Anatolian peninsula but was familiar with the forms of the Arabian peninsula. I think that form is easier to copy than decorative motifs meaning the chances of an Arabian silversmith working in the 19th C. Ottoman floral silver decorative style is less likely than an Anatolian or rather non-Arabian silversmith adapting a common Arabian form with Ottoman floral design.

Also the blade is Ottoman workmanship, highlighted by the stylized Turkish style koftgari work.

The example that Kubur displays shows some sign of Sindh or Oudh style work (is the example brass or copper?), and they most certainly did adopt Arabian styles for local interpretation with Indian chiseled motifs and bright gilding.

Arguing against myself and Kubur, see Wilkinson, Swords and Daggers (1967) plate 161 and 162 for another example. He notes it to be Arabian (Wahhabite) but then claims that the Kurdish jambiya in the same plate is Albanian...
Attached Images

ArmsAndAntiques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 01:28 AM   #7
TVV

I agree with Kubur at least as far as the blade is concerned - the parallel fullers and the koftgari at the ricasso are reminiscent of Syrian daggers, which in their turn were probably influenced by Caucasian kindjals which spread there with the Circassian diaspora.

Scabbards encased in metal with floral motives with velvet under/between the metal parts can be found in the Balkans and Asia Minor as well, for example on yataghans, but I am more inclined to agree with Stu that the style looks Indian rather than Balkan/Anatolian.

Regards,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 01:55 AM   #8
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV

Scabbards encased in metal with floral motives with velvet under/between the metal parts can be found in the Balkans and Asia Minor as well, for example on yataghans, but I am more inclined to agree with Stu that the style looks Indian rather than Balkan/Anatolian.

Regards,
Teodor
I was reminded of this one which is said to be Indian.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 09:28 AM   #9
Kubur

Dear All,

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments and pictures.

Yes, the last photograph is an Indian dagger.

But for the middle section of the scabbard, you can find velvet or leather in most of the daggers produced during this period (19th) from Morocco to Syria...

One of the books mentioned is Robert Hales.

One more word, the Dharia are mentioned by the French in 1798 as conventional equipment of the Mamluks in Egypt... It's the reason why I was wondering if this kind of dagger is really from Arabia...
Attached Images

Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote