Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 6th April 2024, 05:41 AM   #1
Pitt1999

Default Question(s) on the use of Chassepot/yataghan bayonets

This question is about regions in which the yataghan was in common use. While looking through the multitude of threads on the subject of yataghans and their many regional variations I found a couple of examples of yataghans that were either influenced by or used parts of Chassepot/yataghan bayonets (credit to Khelben and Kubur for the pictures).

In Khelben's example the hilt is very clearly influenced by brass bayonet hilts, while the example shown by Kubur appears to repurpose the blade of one of these bayonets.

My question is were these bayonets used in a (mostly) unmolested conditon in the yataghan laden regions of the world? The example with the recycled blade must have been dismounted from the brass hilt then fitted with the native style hilt, why go through that effort other than to have a familiar looking and feeling hilt? If the goal is to have a familiar weapon to what you are used to you simply need to cut off the muzzle ring and guard then you essentially have an earless yataghan. I have seen and handled a number of those bayonets, it seems unlikely to me that one would break and be recycled. Obviously nothing is indestructible and while there is a chance that they can break I cannot imagine something a person alone can do to break one of those bayonets in normal use.

Without provenance or photographic evidence there is no way to answer this question with 100% certainty. This is merely a late night thought and likely comes across as a completely nonsense question. All comments are appreciated if anyone deems my question worthy of occupying their thoughts.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pitt1999; 6th April 2024 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Spacing error
Pitt1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2024, 02:22 PM   #2
kronckew

1866 chassepot bayonet made into a short hunting sword.
It fits the steel scabbard of a bayonet one I have nicely.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2024, 11:29 PM   #3
David R

Following with interest!
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2024, 08:18 PM   #4
Pitt1999

I found this photo of what I believe to be a Greek man wearing a yataghan bayonet which could potentially be for the Mylonas rifle of the 1870's.
Attached Images

Pitt1999 is offline   Reply With Quote