Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Thumbs up Nigeria/Cameroon club mace.

Living very close too the edge but just had to get this. Sold as Yoruba but it is not. Not benin either. I believe it is from that border area of the two modern Counties of Nigeria and the Cameroon. I first came across one of these a few dacades ago, perhaps a little more, in a "junk" antique shop in the Eton side of Windsor. It was not as nice as this one. As you can imagine {Eton, Windsor} the shop owner wanted a Kings ransom for it far more than I paid now. He brandished a typed letter stating that it was collected by Colonel Blimp from tribes in the South Sudan. This letter went on to say that it was used for killing one of both of twin births. Then some other stuff about the tribes people denying any knowledge of the clubs existance.
Anyway not long ago, I think some time last year if not this year. The very same item with the same story sold on ebay for quite a heavy price. I wish I had kept pictures The pictures of this item are not great. I have resized then. I think they show more than enough of the art style to put Yoruba to rest. It is 61cm long, bronze top and bottom steel in the middle. It is going to be a week or so before i can add more pictures. Any other ideas? do not hold back.

Nice carpet though!
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 3rd July 2012 at 07:38 AM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote