Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th June 2015, 04:43 AM   #1
BluErf

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbliss888
Has any one seen this Coteng wooden handle? It looks like a Tajong but it's a Coteng
This would normally be classified as a tajong. The form is closer to a mid-late period tajong.

It has a boxier form, and a rudimentary beard, from the looks of the photo.

A "kampung"" quality hilt, which is still nice, but not exactly an archetype form to do deep analysis on.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 09:56 AM   #2
maxbliss888

Default Coteng

A friend's Coteng
Attached Images

maxbliss888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 09:58 AM   #3
maxbliss888

Default Coteng

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
This would normally be classified as a tajong. The form is closer to a mid-late period tajong.

It has a boxier form, and a rudimentary beard, from the looks of the photo.

A "kampung"" quality hilt, which is still nice, but not exactly an archetype form to do deep analysis on.
Thanks..

First time I heard the term Kampung quality hilt... : ı thought all Keris are made in some kampong somewhere during the ancient days...

Last edited by maxbliss888; 28th June 2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 28th June 2015, 03:47 PM   #4
BluErf

I meant good enough to wear around in the kampung, but not fine enough for the higher social strata. Sorry, this sounds politically incorrect, but that's the way art is. The centre of wealth and political power breeds high excellence in artistic expression which form the pinnacles of art that ordinary folks copy, emulate and aspire to own/consume. Like all facsimiles, definition is lost in the process.
Attached Images

Old 29th June 2015, 07:36 AM   #5
maxbliss888

Default Coteng

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
I meant good enough to wear around in the kampung, but not fine enough for the higher social strata. Sorry, this sounds politically incorrect, but that's the way art is. The centre of wealth and political power breeds high excellence in artistic expression which form the pinnacles of art that ordinary folks copy, emulate and aspire to own/consume. Like all facsimiles, definition is lost in the process.
If this is the case, this old one will not make it to higher social strata as well...

My guess is that it depends on which angle you prefer to see it. Keris as a weapon or Keris as a status symbol...
Attached Images

Old 29th June 2015, 08:20 AM   #6
BluErf

Yes, indeed.

To be even more provocative, some kerises are not good enough for the social higher strata, and at the same time, they make poor weapons too. So what do we make of these kerises?

"Old" not equals "good" or "bad"
"New" not equals "bad" or "good"
Likewise for "simple" and "complex"

But I think we have digressed a bit frm the original point I wanted to make, but I suspect was not conveyed adequately - that a "kampung" quality hilt does not adhere very strictly to archetypal forms. You get all sorts of variations and unusual features. From my experience, it is usually a futile exercise trying to classify these examples definitively. Sometimes, they are just amalgamations of influences and even the whims and fancies of the maker.

So this is to be read in relation to your question/statement - this looks like a tajong, but is actually a coteng.

The first rule of collecting is to collect what you like. Happy learning about the keris, and then collecting it!
Old 29th June 2015, 12:22 PM   #7
maxbliss888

Default Coteng

Another of ɱყ friend's Coteng
Attached Images

Old 29th June 2015, 12:32 PM   #8
maxbliss888

Default Coteng

Staying in Thailand has allowed me to build a small network and I have managed to get to know more Keris collectors
Attached Images

Old 29th June 2015, 01:20 PM   #9
BluErf

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbliss888
Another of ɱყ friend's Coteng
Excellent pieces these 3! Tks for sharing. It's difficult to see pieces of these calibre.