Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th November 2016, 01:12 PM   #1
Kulino

Default Sawungaling

Dear all,
A dear friend and teacher worked as civil servant for the Dutch governement on Java before WO2. During that time he acquired in a special way a keris supposedly coming from the Sawungaling family. This keris stayed with him for the rest of his life. When he passed away his family trusted me with this keris. I heard the legend of the Sawungaling family, Jaka Barek and the cinde puspita but wold like to learn more. Why the Jago?
Warm regard,
Kulino
Kulino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 02:06 PM   #2
mariusgmioc

Hello and thank you for your posting!

I think we will all be happier if you show this keris of yours to us.

Regards,

Marius
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 01:07 AM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulino
Dear all,
A dear friend and teacher worked as civil servant for the Dutch governement on Java before WO2. During that time he acquired in a special way a keris supposedly coming from the Sawungaling family. This keris stayed with him for the rest of his life. When he passed away his family trusted me with this keris. I heard the legend of the Sawungaling family, Jaka Barek and the cinde puspita but wold like to learn more. Why the Jago?
Warm regard,
Kulino
I for one will plead total ignorance here and state that i haven't a clue about the legend of the Sawungaling family, Jaka Barek or the cinde puspita. I also have no idea what you mean by Jago so i could help you understand why. Perhaps you can explain what you do know of this and we can build from there. Thanks!
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 11:27 AM   #4
Kulino

Default Sawunggaling

Dear all,
Thank you for your kind replies. When I search the web with the Sawunggaling query I get pictures of the hero Jaka Barek and a rooster. The story, in short is about a duke Jayeng Rono who has an affair with a village girl. When he leaves the village, he leaves a piece of cloth with the cinde puspita pattern. A son is born, Jaka Barek. When he grows up, he, like his natural father, really likes to be involved in cock fighting. Then there a multiple versions of the story. The first is that he hears of his heritage and goes to his fathers palace and claims his rightful position, using the cinde as proof. The other version is that he defeats his fathers cock a the fight. After these outcomes, the story becomes blurred. Sawunggaling symbolises rebellion. The figure of Jaka Barek is considered to be a local hero in the Surabaya area. The cock (Jago) symbolizes pride, courage and...? I would like to expand the story attached to the keris.
Since the family consider this keris as pusaka, I'm not at liberty to show pictures of the blade. I have to respect this.
However I do have another interesting keris to share. I will do so in another post.
Attached Images

Old 6th December 2016, 05:47 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks for clearing that up. Unfortunately, while you have been entrusted with the family keris, this story really does not seem to have anything to do with that keris so not really appropriate for our forum discussions.
I also fully understand why you will not post this keris pusaka.
Old 6th December 2016, 09:30 PM   #6
Kulino

Default Sawunggaling

Alright David,
Thank you. It was just that maybe one of the Indonesian contributors might have some recollection of this rippin' yarn.
Thank you again and pleas excuse the many errors in my writings. Too hasty...
Old 7th December 2016, 02:20 AM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulino
Alright David,
Thank you. It was just that maybe one of the Indonesian contributors might have some recollection of this rippin' yarn.
Thank you again and pleas excuse the many errors in my writings. Too hasty...
No worries Kulino. We just like to keep our topic focussed specifically on keris. That doesn't mean that a "rippin' yarn" isn't appropriate in context with a keris, but on it's own it's a bit off topic.