Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 29th March 2015, 09:09 PM   #1
drac2k

Default Interesting Baltimore Show bringback

This was one of the items that I found at the show.It has the aspects of a Nepalese kora, a ram dao as well as Indian influences. It was my pleasure to meet Charles at the show (as well as Rick), and he thought it could be an Indian or Ceylonese temple sword ;He said that the colors of the handle were indicative of the users, but he couldn't quite remember which ones.
The item measures approx. 20",the hand forged blade measures almost 2.25" at it's widest, almost 3/16" at the spine and still very sharp.
Any help towards the identification of this item would be appreciated.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 12:37 PM   #2
ariel

Matchu. South Indian?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 02:17 PM   #3
CharlesS

The handle colors remind me of ones that are typical to Sri Lanka/Ceylon, although considering the age wear to the blade vs. the hilt, they may have been repainted at some point in the piece's life.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 08:00 PM   #4
kahnjar1

Default Malabar Chopper

This will help I think.
Tirri's book ISLAMIC WEAPONS MAGHRIB to MOGHUL....... shows this on page 339 and describes it as a MALABAR CHOPPER.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 09:54 PM   #5
drac2k

Well, I am ashamed to admit that I don't have a copy of "Islamic Weapons Maghrib to Mogul," (I do have almost all of the Malibu and Valiant Universe comics, i.e. Magnus, Robot Fighter, Solar, etc.).
I think you are on the right track, even though I always thought of the Malabar choppers as being more stout and while the finial on the top of the sword as well as the blade are very similar as well as the designs, my sword is lighter and it comes to a crescent on the bottom .The handle is also unlike the ones shown, however mine could be a hybrid of different cultures.
There are definite strong comparable characteristics that indicate that you are most surely correct and it is from that region.
Thanks for your help !
Old 31st March 2015, 04:29 AM   #6
kahnjar1

OK here is the pic. Hope no copyright infringement but if so then Mods please remove.
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 01:16 PM   #7
drac2k

Wow, you nailed it, especially the third one, with the painted handle.I wonder if the colors have any significance, since they seem to be similar.Red, black and yellow;only the sequence is different
Thanks Again !
Old 31st March 2015, 04:23 PM   #8
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

I agree that this is most likely southern Indian in origin, and the Malabar Coast area is a possibility. The Tirri picture shows three examples, and while I am familiar with the top one as definitely being a Moplah chopper from the Malabar coast (I have a very similar example that I purchased privately in Bangalore), the other two look more like sacrificial instruments rather than weapons to me and their origins are more widely distributed than the Malabar Coast. I would be cautious about attributing the original item of this thread to the Malabar Coast based solely on Tirri's description.

I also agree with Charles that a Ceylonese origin is possible.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote