Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th October 2016, 10:50 AM   #1
Johan van Zyl

Location: I live in Gordon's Bay, a village in the Western Cape Province in South Africa.
Default A piece of Sulawesi in South Africa?

Friends, I am hoping in this brief thread to give some interesting information which I think might not yet be known to you all. Because, in fact, not far from where I live (about 50 km), there is a place called Macassar. Of course, you know the Macassar which is the provincial capital of South Sulawesi, the largest city on Sulawesi Island, from whence Bugis kerisses come.
But this Macassar is in the Western Cape Province, South Africa.
And there is a very definite connection with Macassar of Sulawesi. Far back in history, in 1664, Macassar (Sulawesi) had been captured by the Dutch. In 1693 an Indonesian Muslim of noble descent, Abadin Tadia Tjoessoep, more commonly known as Sheikh Yusuf, was exiled to the Western Cape, South Africa, along with 49 followers. They were housed on the farm Zandvliet, outside of Cape Town, and attempts were made to minimise his influence on the Dutch East India's slaves. The attempts did not work out. Sheikh Yusuf's settlement soon became a sanctuary for slaves and it was here that the first cohesive Islamic community in South Africa was established. Sheikh Yusuf died at Zandvliet in 1699. Thereafter the area surrounding Zandvliet farm was renamed Macassar after his place of birth.
One last fact: In Simonstown, near Cape Town, there is a Muslim museum I visited about two years ago. They had at least one keris with its sheath in a display cabinet. This was the very first and only time that I had ever seen a keris. Now that I am the proud owner of my first keris, I need to visit the museum again soon to take a few pics.
Johan.
Johan van Zyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2016, 11:51 AM   #2
kronckew

is this the same place where victorian hair oil came from -ie. macassar oil? the fad for greasy hair caused wives to oplace washable lace decorated covers on the headrest area of lounge chairs to keep the oil off the upholstery. they are known as anti-macassars.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2016, 01:06 PM   #3
ariel

Kronckew,

I did not know that. I have read the word in so many old novels, but had no idea about its origin and quirky meaning.
You made my day:-)
Many thanks!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2016, 03:47 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
is this the same place where victorian hair oil came from -ie. macassar oil? the fad for greasy hair caused wives to oplace washable lace decorated covers on the headrest area of lounge chairs to keep the oil off the upholstery. they are known as anti-macassars.
Macassar oil is apparently so named because certain ingredients for it were procured from Makassar, Sulawesi. It has nothing to do with the place of the same name in South Africa though.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2016, 03:51 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan van Zyl
Friends, I am hoping in this brief thread to give some interesting information which I think might not yet be known to you all.
Thank you Johan for this interesting information!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2016, 04:02 PM   #6
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Macassar oil is apparently so named because certain ingredients for it were procured from Makassar, Sulawesi. It has nothing to do with the place of the same name in South Africa though.

I thought that was exactly what Kronckew had in mind.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2016, 04:41 PM   #7
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Yeah, check on Wikipedia, it was apparently made from coconut oil & ylang-ylang, 2 products from Indonesia...
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2016, 05:26 PM   #8
kronckew

we are treasure troves of highly useful information.

i use coconut oil to soften my beard. no ylang^2 tho.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016, 07:52 AM   #9
Johan van Zyl

Location: I live in Gordon's Bay, a village in the Western Cape Province in South Africa.

The current bringer of this particular little "treasure trove of highly useful information" (moi) did not know about anti-macassar, himself! Once again I have learned something!
Johan van Zyl is offline   Reply With Quote