Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th December 2005, 05:11 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Question Knobkerrie or throwing club?

Last Thursday was very good for me, as well as the parang, I also came across this club and a spear, which I shall also show. The OA length is 54cm with a massive head of 34.4cm diameter. I am sure it is not Zulu but it could be from South or Southern Africa. It could also be a throwing club originating from a far greater expanse of South to East Africa. It is carved from a much lighter wieght wood than the usual knobkerrie and being not much longer than a forearm with an out stretched hand, could be thrown with the hand working as another elbow making all elements of the throw balanced. I know Freddy is keen on clubs. Any thoughts? Tim
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 26th December 2005 at 06:17 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2005, 06:28 PM   #2
RomaRana

That could be a maasai rungu as that is one shape style they follow, it also seems to be the same wood tone(olive branch) as the rungu.
RomaRana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2005, 06:33 PM   #3
Freddy

Arrow

That's a big one.

I doubt however if this is really a throwing stick. A huge ball wouldn't 'fly' very far when thrown. It could be some kind of ceremonial piece, or...perhaps just a knobkerrie for a very big and strong man.

Is it made from one piece of wood ?
I have a club in my collection which has a hardwood ball and a very flexible handle. The seller told me that the handle was expendable. When it was broken, the owner just cut a new one. The head of the club, however, was used again.
It's from the Agoni-tribe in Swaziland and it is called 'chibonga'.
Total length : 67,5 cm

The second picture cleary shows that the handle is a separate piece of wood.

It's not easy to find examples of African throwing sticks in a book. Most books on African weapons only deal with iron weapons.
Nevertheless, here's one :

I have one stick in my collection which also could be a throwing club. I found this one in a shop in Brussels, filled with African goodies
I don't know anything about it. I showed it to a German friend and he also said in was used for throwing.
Length : 78,5 cm

Your club could also originate from the South Sea, for example Fiji. They also have throwing clubs.

So you see....perhaps more questions than answers
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2005, 06:41 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

Thanks Freddy, It is carved from one piece and as you can see there was a worm? living in the wood before the club was made. I do not think it is from the south seas but I could live in hope. I had one of those 'chibonga' but gave it away in a swap, which was a bit silly but you live and learn . Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote