Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th December 2012, 10:20 PM   #1
A.alnakkas

Default Jambiyas (and khanjars) the Fading Costume and Us the Collectors

Hello guys,

So, I always had a passion for Arabian jambiyas and khanjars. The more I collect them, the more they matter to me more then swords. I love the heritage behind them and those little unique features done on them by their past owners who at one day wore them with pride.

But readig through articles, it shows that the art and costume is declining (atleast in Yemen) this is very sad news but inevitable. The value of the jambiya as you all may know is tied to the hilt, most especially rhino and with the laws now protecting rhino, the art became a turn off for the younger generation who cannot afford the rhino hilted ones. I believe the decline will continue until it will become a dead costume in Yemen. I hope they change their mind and find a lovable alternative to rhino but I dont have high hopes.

But in case the costume truly fades, we the collector community will become the protectors of this heritage. So I hope that all those who share my passion for those daggers safe guard their pieces and do their best not to give them up (unless for me ) and share them if possible so that it may not be forgotten.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

I read an article where the art of the jambiya belt is becoming a lost art. They are being replaced by machine made ones from China. That all so goes for the jambiya hilts that are plastic also made in China. This due to the collapsing economy in Yemen and high unemployment rate.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 05:49 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Sadly these old Khanjars/Jambiyas are also being "modernised" by some, and they then become IMHO nothing more than modern replicas of the original. This may be "culture based" but from the purist collector's point of view this is destruction at its highest level.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 07:21 AM   #4
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Sadly these old Khanjars/Jambiyas are also being "modernised" by some, and they then become IMHO nothing more than modern replicas of the original. This may be "culture based" but from the purist collector's point of view this is destruction at its highest level.
Yep that surely is destructive and I wonder how many old examples with odd unique features were destroyed. Its hard to define what should be allowed and what shouldnt but its shame anyways.
Old 27th December 2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams ~ http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14878

Please see the thread on Omani Khanjars. It might help.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 10:27 AM   #6
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams ~ I find it unbelievable that some collectors are still utterly in the dark regarding Omani Khanjars and Yemeni Jambias regarding their useage and understanding of the heritage as viewed by the people here... therefor I advise the viewing of The Omani Khanjar where I have added a post to re cover this important aspect.
The problem is not with local people upgrading/fixing their jambiyas and khanjars. That is part of the dagger wearing culture within the gulf its something that I want to live on. The problem is with that of old items deliberately changed or 'upgraded' to be sold for tourists or outsiders in general :-)

I personally want to upgrade one of my dress khanjars into a rhino hilt and to get a proper belt for it but granted its new and even the rhino is new :P

Anyways Ibrahim, as our man in the field of Omani Khanjars, is there any signs of decline? I know that the younger generation in all societies tend to be the ones who rebel against older costumes.. but would be interested in reading what you think of the situation there.
Old 27th December 2012, 10:29 AM   #7
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams ~ http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14878

Please see the thread on Omani Khanjars. It might help.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Yep, its a well written view on the subject.

You have PM btw.
Old 27th December 2012, 11:05 AM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
The problem is not with local people upgrading/fixing their jambiyas and khanjars. That is part of the dagger wearing culture within the gulf its something that I want to live on. The problem is with that of old items deliberately changed or 'upgraded' to be sold for tourists or outsiders in general :-)

I personally want to upgrade one of my dress khanjars into a rhino hilt and to get a proper belt for it but granted its new and even the rhino is new :P

Anyways Ibrahim, as our man in the field of Omani Khanjars, is there any signs of decline? I know that the younger generation in all societies tend to be the ones who rebel against older costumes.. but would be interested in reading what you think of the situation there.
Salaams ~ In Muscat the deterioration is slow almost un noticed but in 30 years the entire feel of the souk has changed... I would estimate that only a handful of the genuine original old places exist. Her in Buraimi we lost a shop in the souk to general decline last week... in the age of the owner rather than anything else.. leaving a vaccuum ... A very important piece of antiquity has vanished forever... the same has happenend to silver makers... Most towns would have had about ten silversmiths 50 years ago... Now many places have none.

The ruler has decreed that silvermakers train at least one son ... in a bid to continue this great profession. There are gulids being set up in Muscat with apprentices being trained. In Salalah a womens guild has taken on the mantle of silversmiths..If the traditional methods are not expanded to keep pace wiith tourism ( and the demand for silver jewellery by locals) it will vanish by default... Already it is in steep decline owing to silver jewellery becoming out of fashion and gold is replacing it. The trouble is that the apprenticeship is long... In the old days a silversmith would start at about 7 years old and by the time he was 17 would know almost everything ....It is hard work with long hours and total dedication... People would rather become business men engineers doctors ...etc etc.. How to fix the decline??

Open a college for craftsmanship covering the skills like dhow making, metalworking, silversmithing, wood carving, weaving, sword smiths....?

One thing for certain... unless it is reversed it will vanish.

I should add that when a big museum (there are many now in the Gulf) goes shopping in say Muscat .. they are quite capable of sucking everything up like a huge fishing trawler... and for months the souk is emptied of decent artefacts... This is going on continuously and when you consider that along side ..a 4000 tourist passenger ship parking right next to the main souk... the drain on antiques is considerable.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 27th December 2012 at 11:18 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 02:57 PM   #9
TribalBlades

I would like to touch one more important point. I have lived here in the Gulf region for quite a while and from the very beginning , I have realized that the real decline in the use of Khanjars, dhows, martinis, etc. etc. is in the decline of the Bedouin population and their lifestyle. The population of full-blooded Bedu tribes-people is declining at a rapid pace and so is their way of life. This is especially so in the states of UAE & Oman, though it is happening elsewhere aswell.

In Yemen and Southern Arabia, most of the original culture is still infact, though it is unfortunate that they are in abject poverty. However whether the discovery of oil is a blessing or curse, is debatable. it depends on certain limits and mode of use.

It is time the remaining Bedu of Arabia realise this major issue and form a Tribal comittee or something of that sort and talk it out.

I am myself a Tribesman (not Arab) and i understand these issues better.

Regards.
TribalBlades is offline   Reply With Quote