Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 16th December 2005, 04:49 AM   #1
VANDOO
(deceased)

Default A INTERESTING NEW KAMPILIAN

A INTERESTING KAMPILIAN RECENTLY MADE IN PANAY JUST SOLD FOR THE PRICE OF A GOOD OLD ONE I THOUGHT I MIGHT GET ONE TO GO WITH THE PIRA FROM THE SAME AREA AND TIME FRAME THEY ARE INTERESTING WALL HANGERS BUT PURELY FANTASY TYPE ITEMS. LOOK AT EBAY #7373604363 , EBAY A SELLERS WET DREAM!
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 09:35 AM   #2
kai

Whoa, I could get several nice, genuine pieces for 380 bucks!

And at least one for what you were willing to spend, Barry.
Just curious, why were you interested in it?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 09:44 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

HOLY CRACKER!

Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 12:58 PM   #4
ariel

Just another proof that we all have strange and incomprehensible desires.
I would call this piece schlocky but there were enough buyers who had a special niche for this masterpiece in the deep, dark recesses of their souls.
I had similar moments of insanity and, having unpacked the monstrosity, could not understand what possessed me to spend money on that piece of junk. Some just have the itch all the time and end up with a huge arsenal of Chinese katanas ( a friend of mine is inordinately proud of his display of those!).
To be perfectly frank, from a purely logical point of view the kind of swords we collect makes no difference: they are all useless. As for their being objects of art, investment values, historical artifacts etc, we all have different tastes and hundred years from now these pieces will be hundred years old. All of these "reasons" were mostly designed to convince our spouses that the money was well spent. Any collecting is a form of insanity.
Join the asylum, buddies......
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 02:38 PM   #5
MABAGANI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Any collecting is a form of insanity.
Join the asylum, buddies......
Hmm guess if a reason or cure for the insanity isn't found then its a problem.
I've been fortunate in that I don't have to answer to my wife about collecting swords or artifacts, its just a part of me.
As for my sword collection being useless, I'd also disagree, I practice my martial arts with most of them, so culturally in a sense they are kept alive.
Both collecting and martial arts I've been doing before I got married.
Feel free to use those excuses as a last resort.lolz
MABAGANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 04:22 PM   #6
Spunjer

yeah, mabagani. i've told my wife that helio gracie originally implemented tenegres and barungs (depending on what day it is) when he started brazilian jiujitsu. and that each of the gracie brothers specialized in different sundangs as part of the BJJ curriculum, reason why i'm collecting these weapons. it's a little known fact about gracie jiujitsu...
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 04:53 PM   #7
Andrew

lol. My bride is supportive of this particular obsession: it could be much worse. After all, I could have a hobby like skydiving.

Like Mabagani, martial arts and swords were in my life long before I was married. No sense trying to change me.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 12:25 AM   #8
VANDOO
(deceased)

KAI
I JUST THOUGHT IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A PSUDO- KAMPILIAN TO GO WITH THE PIRA MADE IN THE SAME AREA USING THE SAME TECKNIQUES.
THEIR TECKNIQUE FOR BENDING THE CARABO HORN AND MAKING IT HOLD ITS SHAPE IS INTERESTING AND AS FAR AS I KNOW IS ONLY DONE THERE. THE WORK IS DONE BY HAND AS FAR AS I CAN TELL AND THEY ARE NOT MASS PRODUCED SO NO TWO WOULD BE EXACTLY ALIKE. I ASSUME THE BLADES ARE MADE USING STOCK REMOVAL WHICH MAKES THEM LESS TRADITIONAL AND LESS DESIRABLE. THE SAME CAN BE SAID OF THE TIBOLI/BAGOBO SWORDS BEING MADE TODAY BUT THEY ARE CLOSER TO THE ORIGINAL FORM THAN THE FANTASY KAMPILIAN WAS.
THEY WILL PROBABLY MAKE MORE TO SELL CONSIDERING THE BIG PROFIT THEY GOT THAT TIME WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE IF THEY CAN FIND SOMEONE ELSE THAT FREE WITH THEIR MONEY. MY BID WAS FOR THE MAXIMUM I THOUGHT IT WAS WORTH CONSIDERING WORKMANSHIP,EXOTIC LOOKS AND THE FACT THAT THOUGH NEW IT WAS A FORM OF KAMPILIAN I DID NOT HAVE. MY FAVORITE SWORD IS THE KAMPILIAN AND I HAVE MISSED WINING ONE FOR A VERY LONG TIME.
VERY SAD I CAN'T EVEN WIN A AUCTION FOR A NEW FANTASY SWORD ON EBAY
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 01:35 AM   #9
Ferguson

The horn work, especially the scabbard is amazing. Wonder how well it will hold up with climate changes. Vandoo, I was willing to pay $100 for it, but it rose above that before I was ready to bid. There is a lot of work and sweat in that piece. I bet the maker sold it for a pittance. Hope the seller shares with the men doing the work.

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 10:20 PM   #10
kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
MY FAVORITE SWORD IS THE KAMPILIAN
Thanks for the answer, Barry. Does your specal interest include Mandau and relatives?

Regards,
Kai
Old 17th December 2005, 10:20 PM   #11
kai

Quote:
Hope the seller shares with the men doing the work.
Take it easy folks. I guess Punal is just selling off some of his early acquisitions...

Regards,
Kai