Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 3rd February 2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Moshah

Default semi-dual edged badik?

Hi guys,

Another puzzling thing was this semi-dualled edge badek / badik (was it really a badik, after all?). I thought badek was always a single-edged weapon, but then I might be wrong.

The top edge was blunt actually, until it reaches its 3/4 length (from the bottom) then the sharp edge started till the tip.

No pamor traced. The hilt and scabbard were Bugis-like, but I really don't know it's rightful origin.

Any info / thoughts are welcomed.

Thanks
Attached Images

Moshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Sajen

Hi Moshah,

I would call it a badik. Here one from my collection with a real double edge, very sharp. Do you have etched it? I've never seen a badik without pamor.

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 12:30 AM   #3
Moshah

Hi detlef,

Yes indeed yours was also double-edged.

I was in the thinking that mine could be something from the Phillipines, as I never saw anything like this. Now I've seen yours and somewhere back I think Artzi has sold one of the likes (pix).

It was etched via the coconut juice way and I've failed to see any traces of pamor there on my piece.
Attached Images

Old 4th February 2013, 01:29 AM   #4
kai

Hello Moshah,

I believe your blade was made from wesi/besi malela (a heavily forged steel with often higher carbon content which yields the dark, even stain despite being laminated).

Your badik could well be from northern Malaya (not sure though).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 02:01 AM   #5
Moshah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Moshah,

I believe your blade was made from wesi/besi malela (a heavily forged steel with often higher carbon content which yields the dark, even stain despite being laminated).

Regards,
Kai
Hi Kai,

From my observation, the besi used was similar to the type that we always see in kerises. Perhaps no nickel contents, hence no pamor.

The characteristic of the besi was also akin to some Malay kerises that I have, made me so inclined to say it's a Malay badik. But from my understanding, Malay badiks usually will have a "mar" or "temin" - a round base before the tang (pix) which is not present on the badik of question here. This is why I was not prepare to expect that it was a Malay badik...
Attached Images

Old 6th February 2013, 09:06 AM   #6
kai

Hello Moshah,

Quote:
The characteristic of the besi was also akin to some Malay kerises that I have, made me so inclined to say it's a Malay badik. But from my understanding, Malay badiks usually will have a "mar" or "temin" - a round base before the tang <snip>
I'd be inclined to place those pieces with integral bolster into the large sewar/sewaih family (including tumbok lada, karih, etc.). This family of blades seems to have Sumatran/Straits roots rather than the badik probably originating from S Sulawesi.

As you know, not that long ago, people used to freely move back and forth between Sumatra and W Malaysia.

Regards,
Kai
Old 5th February 2013, 07:40 AM   #7
Moshah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai

Regards,
Kai

Hi Kai,

if the blade was made with such besi with higher carbon contain, does it mean it can easily break? I've read somewhere stated that besi melela was actually comes from a sandy grains along the west coast of java. Is that true?

if not laminated, means that it was not done like how a keris should be?

Thanks for the input, kai. Really appreciate it...
Old 5th February 2013, 11:33 AM   #8
kai

Hello Moshah,

Quote:
if the blade was made with such besi with higher carbon contain, does it mean it can easily break?
I wouldn't worry (unless one tries to abuse it as a sharpened pry bar); competent differential hardening can go a long way. If used incorrectly, the weak point (for most of the personal sidearms throughout the archipelago) would most likely be the hilt IMVHO.

Quote:
I've read somewhere stated that besi melela was actually comes from a sandy grains along the west coast of java. Is that true?
I'm sure there were a lot of local sources; secondary iron deposits are not rare in wet climates.

Quote:
if not laminated, means that it was not done like how a keris should be?
These are laminated (on a microscopic level) and traditional. There may be some blades made from imported European steel hiding within the wesi/besi malela category but usually you will see some forging lines suggesting extensive local forge work regardless of the primary source.

Regards,
Kai

Last edited by kai; 6th February 2013 at 08:50 AM. Reason: changing "use" into "abuse"