Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th May 2007, 01:23 PM   #1
ganjawulung

Default De Kris

Dear All,

Beside keris, I am also collecting books on keris. And the books I appreciate much are: De Kris (Tammens) and The World of The Javanese Kris. But unfortunately, I only read the copies. I am eager to have the original ones. Is is still possible?

Newest Member
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2007, 05:30 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Welcome Ganjawulung (i love this form of gonjo as well ).
The 3 volumes of Tammens' De Kris are still available AFAIK. I know that at least one dealer who posts here has them available and perhaps he will PM you with ordering info.
I don't believe The World of the Javanese Keris is still in print, but copies do still come up for sale. I think there might be one on eBay right at this moment in fact.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2007, 06:41 PM   #3
ganjawulung

Thank you David,

Not many Indonesians have original books like De Kris, The World of The Javanese Kris, Gronemann (it has been translated in Indonesian, by an Indonesian scholar who had studied in Germany) and of course the dutch book of Jaspers and Pirngadie.

I always appreciate whatever people outside Indonesia wrote, write or will write about Indonesian Kris. Someone had sent me in the past, a copy of an article in Finnish (or Danish?) with picture of kris in a Rembrandt painting. Phantastic! I appreciate this forum too. Because many Indonesian nowadays, don't even have little knowledge on kris, their own identity... Unfortunately.

I appreciate people like Alan G Massey, one who has encouraged Indonesian contemporary-empu like Yantono or other Solonese kris maker (Yanto, maybe Kamdi etc). I remember too, people like Dietrich Drescher or the German anthropolog Achim Weichrauch who got doctorate (of kris?) from Basel University... Dietrich has made an important experiment on Cilacap sands (to prove old pamor material). And of course people like you, David, Rick and all..

Viva Indonesian Kris...
Old 8th May 2007, 12:23 AM   #4
ganjawulung

Correction, please..

I am sorry, Alan, for mispelling your name. I should have written Alan G Maisey. Sorry for that mistake...
Old 8th May 2007, 04:21 AM   #5
A. G. Maisey

No problem ganja.

Its a bit of an unusual name, and people often get it wrong.I've learnt to live with it.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 03:38 PM   #6
Marcokeris

Welcome Ganja!!
About the Pirmgadie's book I think is easier to find this book in Indonesia istead of Europe where the prize is fearful.

If you want, you can search all the three Tammens' books at this italian site (but the prize is rather hight) "www.preliber.com"

About keris book do you know how is possible to find an indonesian book written by Marlupi on lombok keris?
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 04:55 AM   #7
ganjawulung

Thank you Marco,

I will try to get the three volumes of the "classic" Tammens via internet. Pirngadie, I wish I could get the original one (ones). But hardly I can get them. About Lombok book, is it the book written by Pak Lalu Djelenga? I bought it one in a keris pameran (exhibition) in Bentara Budaya Jakarta last year. But unfortunately, someone had borrowed it and never came back again. It is limited edition, and not in good printing.

Like any other Indonesian book on keris, the Lombok book is not as systematic as Tammens' book, or even Solyom and Bronwen's. Anyway I will try to contact my friend in Lombok, to get books on Lombok kerises. I will contact you later, Marco.
Old 9th May 2007, 07:18 AM   #8
ganjawulung

Dear Marco,

I've contacted my friend in Lombok, and he will send me two copies of Pak Lalu Djelenga books (original). And he will try to find Marlupi's books tomorrow. I've read in Van Duuren's book (Krisses, a Critical Bibliography) that the book you mean to have is: "Bentuk dan Gaya Keris Nusa Tenggara Barat" (The Form and Style of West Nusa Tenggara Kerises), published by Museum Negeri (State Museum) Nusa Tenggara Barat 1995. Written by Herman VJ and Marlupi S. Is it right? Hopefully I will get the other book too, soon..
Old 9th May 2007, 11:08 AM   #9
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
Dear Marco,

I've contacted my friend in Lombok, and he will send me two copies of Pak Lalu Djelenga books (original). And he will try to find Marlupi's books tomorrow. I've read in Van Duuren's book (Krisses, a Critical Bibliography) that the book you mean to have is: "Bentuk dan Gaya Keris Nusa Tenggara Barat" (The Form and Style of West Nusa Tenggara Kerises), published by Museum Negeri (State Museum) Nusa Tenggara Barat 1995. Written by Herman VJ and Marlupi S. Is it right? Hopefully I will get the other book too, soon..
Yes Ganja: "Bentuk dan gaya keris....." is the book that I'm looking for.
About Djelenga book I bought the book in Yogya some two years ago.
Old 10th May 2007, 04:59 AM   #10
ganjawulung

Default Books on Lombok Kris

Dear All,

Unfortunately, the Lombok Keris book "Bentuk dan Gaya Keris Nusa Tenggara Barat" (1995) only one left, the original, in Mataram Museum, Lombok. They will copy one for me. According to the museum officer, this 72 pages book on Lombok keris (thin book) were not for sale. They had distributed the books in the past to the pedalaman (pagan) schools in Lombok Timur. And now only one copy left in the museum. They have also one other thin book on Lombok keris, an exhibition book (36 pages) too.

Lalu Djelenga's book is still available. There are only five (5) left. And they will send all the five books to me soon. I will keep them for you if you need them...
Old 10th May 2007, 10:41 AM   #11
Marcokeris

Thanks a lot Ganja
Now I understand why was so difficult to find the book "Benthuk dan Gaya..."
Old 10th May 2007, 11:24 AM   #12
ganjawulung

Default Herman & Marlupi

Now I'm fortunate,

Just now my friend from Lombok told me, that he will send me his only one copy of Herman VJ & Marlupi's book on Keris Lombok, "Bentuk dan Gaya Keris Nusa Tenggara Barat". Original one. So, the other original now only available to copy at Mataram State Museum in Lombok. I'm lucky, then.

Actually, this 72 pages book containing: Introduction to the kris collection of the Museum Negeri Nusa Tenggara Barat at Mataram. According to David van Duuren's book, this comprises 259 specimens. Over two hundred of these are from Lombok; the remainder are from Sumbawa. The sequence of the argument -- according to Van Duuren -- is as follows: a historical survey; kris nomenclature; manufacture and function of the kris on the two islands (Lombok and Sumbawa); long lists of names of straight and wavy blades; pamors; shapes of handle rings and hilt settings; hilts and their names; and finally, shapes of sheaths.

This book of Herman & Marlupi which is illustrated with many photographs and drawings -- according to Van Duuren -- constitutes a useful basis for comparative and typological study.