Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 3rd April 2024, 07:48 AM   #1
Sakalord364

Default Similarities in design between Afghan axes and Musandam/Jerrs axes

I’ve noticed a great deal of design similarities between these 20th century Afghan axes and these axes from Oman, from everything to the design motifs, to the copper inlay, to the carving on the shaft.

An interesting piece of info is some of the Omani axes are imported from North India, which is a rather vague piece of info but might point to the fact that this design might have a Central Asian or Indian origin. Still this is shrouded in mystery for now.

http://vikingsword.com/vb/showthread...ighlight=jerrs
Attached Images

Sakalord364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2024, 08:34 PM   #2
Peter Hudson

Yes I think theree is a vague similarity probably Luristani or ancient persian not surprisingly since trade etc was bouyant across the Persian Gulf thus similarities are to be expected...Also interesting is the appearance of the other axe in Oman The Qudom from the Wahiba Sands near Adam in North East Oman but which has almost no decoration to the blade and is carried on a white wood heft and is a camel stick.

Up in the Mussandam the tribe that carry this axe speak a little known dialect ...The Shihuh Tribe.and I think I wrote about them when I was doing the details on Jerrs /Mussandam Axes...About 10 years ago one of the only axe making artesans told me there was a much bigger variant that covered the whole palm of the hand and that was the battle version, however, having said that it is said a strike to the vital parts... head or groin would cause the eyes to water ...
Peter Hudson.
Peter Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2024, 05:50 PM   #3
A.alnakkas

Pakistani and even Afghan craftsmen work in Oman and other Gulf states. They effected the production of the Baishak, the yerz and the khusa knife.

From what can be seen of early yerz examples they tend not to have the brass or copper inlay but there could be exceptions. Baluchs also effected Omani craftsmanship a lot.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2024, 08:50 PM   #4
Peter Hudson

Default Baluch in Oman etc.

Yes there are many Baluch people in the region and it can be seen at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=bALUCH+oMAN how important these were regarding the Mercenaries on The Zanj coast and up until very recently throughout Oman. Peter Hudson.
Peter Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote