Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th December 2010, 11:14 AM   #1
imas560

Default Repaired keris from Malaysia

Hello all,
just got back from a 5 week holiday in the Philippines and Malaysia. Whilst I was over there I managed to pick up some items I had ordered in July '09. One of the items was a keris I had taken back for repair. Unfortunately we picked up on the last day of the trip and I had to take photos late at night as the next step is to arrange permits to get them sent over to me.
I have attached the photo and hopefully it turns up ok as I can't see it when I preview the post.
Attached Images

imas560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 09:54 AM   #2
PenangsangII

from the initial photo, my comment is.... WOWWW

You got a nice catch there... congrats
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 02:36 PM   #3
BluErf

Nice Terengganu keris. The hilt looks a bit unusual. Cld you post pics of the hilt when you get it please? Thanks!
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 03:25 PM   #4
Newsteel

Good selection of wood. Nice. Yup the hilt looked rather unusual from that angle of picture.
Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 08:16 PM   #5
imas560

thanks everyone,
I have only a couple of photos as we had to pack to fly out the next day, the wife had a friend we hadn't seen in ten years turning up at 10pm, the wife and I were struggling with a flu that we had caught on Christmas Day and she started getting a little bit edgy when she caught me with a camera and the blades. I managed to convince her it was extremely important that I take photos for permits so she grudingly ok'd with the proviso to make it quick. She doesn't understand the sickness but she tries to accommodate, truly a great lady.
When I get the items in my hands I'll post better, detailed pics. But here are the ones I took.
Attached Images

Old 30th December 2010, 08:25 PM   #6
imas560

and a photo of knives on a table when we went to pick up. No blades in detail but we turned up in the middle of a wedding and everyone was very obliging and were interested in the blades. The keris in question had a lot of interest. And the kerismaker is the gentleman wearing specs in the blue shirt (Encik Abdul Mazin Jamil), awesome artisan. If anyone is ever interested in visiting his workshop in the kampung let me know and I'll send contact details.
Attached Images

Old 31st December 2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by imas560
... the kerismaker is the gentleman wearing specs in the blue shirt (Encik Abdul Mazin Jamil), awesome artisan. If anyone is ever interested in visiting his workshop in the kampung let me know and I'll send contact details.
Oh! Pak Mazin, one of the famed kerismaker from Padang Changkat, Kuala Kangsar, Perak, Malaysia..

I agree that the hilt looks awkward.. the base is too big, perhaps made to fit into the pendokok (hilt cup).. the sheath, as mentioned.. made from well-selected wood..
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote