Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 15th May 2019, 09:17 AM   #1
Anthony G.

Default Wearing keris in Java

Dear members, i read this sentence in one of the public website belongs to an European. I would like to clarify is this statement is accurate.

//quote//
Wearing Keris In Java, a man would normally wear three Keris according to his social status: One on the back and one on each side. The one on the left side (the first to be drawn) would be the last acquired or received as a traditional wedding gift from the parents of his bride. The Keris on the back may be tucked into the folds of a sarong or at waist height.
Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 10:19 AM   #2
A. G. Maisey

Anthony, that statement is far, far too broad.

Keris are and were worn in different ways for different situations. I do not understand the "social status" reference, there are too many things to consider to just say "social status". The whole passage needs to be put into context, in a place, at a time, and with a whole lot of qualifications.

Then there is the mention of a "bride". Yes, when a woman marries, her father will often give a keris to his new son-in-law, but "bride"? What are talking about here? First wife, second wife, third, fourth? Senior wife, junior wife? Or all of them? And under what conditions?

The passage you have stated is a very broad simplification, it is not inaccurate, but neither is it correct.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 10:50 AM   #3
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Anthony, that statement is far, far too broad.

Keris are and were worn in different ways for different situations. I do not understand the "social status" reference, there are too many things to consider to just say "social status". The whole passage needs to be put into context, in a place, at a time, and with a whole lot of qualifications.

Then there is the mention of a "bride". Yes, when a woman marries, her father will often give a keris to his new son-in-law, but "bride"? What are talking about here? First wife, second wife, third, fourth? Senior wife, junior wife? Or all of them? And under what conditions?

The passage you have stated is a very broad simplification, it is not inaccurate, but neither is it correct.
thank you, i do agreed with you.
Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote