Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th February 2007, 02:59 PM   #1
Yannis

Arrow Cairo

Cairo

I spend lot of days in Cairo and I enjoy it. Khan El Khalili was always tourist trap but it used to have good things too. Now it is full of Chinese crap.
I went in any antique shop I could find in the greater city with the help of Egyptian friends. The result was zero. The only blades that you can find are new made North African daggers with useless blades and silver Omani jampiyas, that were sold as antiques but they have the same age with my cell phone.
I saw only one antique Kaskara, in bad condition, instead of hundreds you could find few years ago. I was so fed up that I didn’t ask the price.
I also found an old phurba dagger but I had no idea about a fair price of it, so I called Eftihis to ask your help. The seller started with $3000. After 10 minutes he was down to $800. Still it was too much for my ignorance.
It must be a new law against edged weapons there, because sellers talk more openly for hashish than for blades.
The best part of the hunting was when sellers draw from “secret” boxes bright new Indian knifes with etched damascus patterns. As far as I understood, there is a trail from India to Syria and from there to the rest Middle East.
Caveat Emptor

P.S. I enjoyed any other part of my trip
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2007, 05:27 PM   #2
S.Al-Anizi

Hello Yannis,

You really should try Riyadh, you will be stunned at the amount of stuff you will find there, and moreso about the prices.
S.Al-Anizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2007, 05:46 PM   #3
FenrisWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Al-Anizi
Hello Yannis,

You really should try Riyadh, you will be stunned at the amount of stuff you will find there, and moreso about the prices.
You have no idea how jealous that makes those of usstuck on the other side of the pond!

Thank Ghu for ebay! I know, it's the home of ripoffs, con artists, and thieves, but if you hunt you can find the occasional bargain...wow, an online version of the old bazaar in Casablanca! Now, is there an online version of Rick's Cafe American?
FenrisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote