Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th June 2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Mytribalworld

Default Art in Central Celebes - Walter Kaudern

Maybe interesting for forummembers who are interested in the full book (I once listed the weaponchapter as download)

Art in Central Celebes - Walter Kaudern

An amazing rich illustrated art book about the authors expedition to Celebes 1917-1920.

In my opinion Walter Kaudern made one of the best studies ever written on Celebes.Strange enough it was not widespread maybe because of the fact that Kaudern died before the book was finsihed.Even some museum curators that I spoke didn't know about the existence of the book.Kaudern did a marvelous job and because of the fact he was also a painter he had a good eye for small details in the art of Celebes.He painted and illustrated the book almost complete himself with drawing of Sangori's,shields,swords and sword details,rooffinals,barkcloth,bamboodesigns,headclo ths,warhelmets,plaitwork,spoons,coffins,limeboxese tc etc.The work contains 446 pages,271 plates in b/w with hundreds of art illustrations,68 plate in color and 4 maps.Much of the work of the Toraja people is related to other Indonesian and South East Asian tribes ( also Naga) what makes the book a fantastic source for the tribal art dealer, collector and anyone who just interested.The book has never been reprinted and antiquarian copies of this work are extremely scarce and prices are normal between 500-700 dollar.This is an cd-rom book and will cost you only 15 euro.The book is made for adobe reader.You will be amazed......

http://cgi.ebay.nl/Art-in-Central-Ce...2em118Q2el1247
Mytribalworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 03:05 PM   #2
Bill M

Arjan says this is in English, so I am ordering a copy!
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008, 11:58 PM   #3
Bill M

Good book and still on eBay.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote