Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 17th June 2017, 09:14 AM   #1
Drabant1701

Default Keris for comment

This keris is a result of my itchy auction fingers. I was bidding on one of those auction houses where there are five items at the time and you have like 30 seconds to bid. I was actually bidding on something else but since I was going to pay for shipping anyway my itchy finger bought this keris. I like primitive art and like the handle that was all.

I know very little about keris since it is outside my field of intrest. What I have concluded is that it is most likley missing its ganja, the upper most part of the blade. The mendak is crudly made and some of the "stones" look like there made of some sort of resin. The handle is actually made of wood, when I looked at the auction pictures I feared it was resin but it is not. The patina on the handle looks artfical to me but at the same time it feels like it has age to it.
Also there has at some point been someting in the eyes that is now gone.

So any comments regarding age and origin would be welcome.
Attached Images

Drabant1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 02:31 PM   #2
Jean

Hello,
I would attribute this rustic but old & interesting piece to Lombok from the hilt especially.
Yeah, the ganja looks like missing but I am not fully sure from the pics as the wadidang (rear part at the bottom of the blade) is quite long, and is the pejetan extending to the bottom of the blade or not?
The indistinct pamor pattern seems to be Uler Lulut or equivalent.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 03:04 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

It also looks like it could possibly be an iras blade.
There is one in my collection with a very similar pamor pattern that is a close cousin of this fellow.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rick; 17th June 2017 at 03:23 PM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 03:45 PM   #4
Jean

Oh yes!
Old 17th June 2017, 05:06 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Yeah, the ganja looks like missing but I am not fully sure from the pics as the wadidang (rear part at the bottom of the blade) is quite long, and is the pejetan extending to the bottom of the blade or not?
From what i can see Jean i think i would e willing to accept this as gonjo iras. As you note, the wadidang fairly long and if i am not mistaken i believe i see the remnants of greneng along it.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 07:26 PM   #6
Seerp Visser

Welcome Drabant1701.

I hope you will enjoy this forum about the keris and will find out that the keris is NOT a piece of primitive art.
It seems that you were lucky to buy a fine piece of craftsmanship, that even in these times, is regarded as top.
The appreciation of this keris as piece of art is personal, but the keris is made by what the French call an Artisan for sure.
Congratulations with your acquisition.
Seerp Visser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 09:15 PM   #7
Drabant1701

Thank you all for your replys! I am glad to hear that this might be a keris without ganja, and that it has some age to it. This is my first keris and I have spent some time the last two says studying the subject. What strikes me is how vast this subject is, which makes the expertise on this forum all the more impressive .

If I were to add one or two books on the subject to my library, what would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seerp Visser
Welcome Drabant1701.

I hope you will enjoy this forum about the keris and will find out that the keris is NOT a piece of primitive art.
It seems that you were lucky to buy a fine piece of craftsmanship, that even in these times, is regarded as top.
The appreciation of this keris as piece of art is personal, but the keris is made by what the French call an Artisan for sure.
Congratulations with your acquisition.
Thank you Seerp Visser. I see now that I wrote in a way that could be read as me thinking that the keris is primitive art. I was not refering to the keris itself but to this specific hilt, and a better term would perhaps be folk art. This in comparance to other keris hilts that I have seen that are masterpieces of intricate carving.
Old 17th June 2017, 09:24 PM   #8
Jean

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabant1701
If I were to add one or two books on the subject to my library, what would you recommend?
Mine of course!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf kris book cover.pdf (449.7 KB, 1105 views)
Old 17th June 2017, 11:06 PM   #9
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabant1701
Thank you all for your replys! I am glad to hear that this might be a keris without ganja, and that it has some age to it. This is my first keris and I have spent some time the last two says studying the subject. What strikes me is how vast this subject is, which makes the expertise on this forum all the more impressive .

I know I wasn't asked, but for one I'd recommend The World of The Javanese Keris by Garret and Bronwyn Solyum.
This is a soft cover book, out of print.
I have two copies...

I would also recommend a visit to Alan Maisey's very informative site.
There is lots of information there to absorb.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 09:20 PM   #10
Bjorn

To me it seems like a gonjo iras as well. Lombok was also the first thing that came to mind. The blade should show a nice pamor if stained.
Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 07:09 PM   #11
Drabant1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuuzan
To me it seems like a gonjo iras as well. Lombok was also the first thing that came to mind. The blade should show a nice pamor if stained.
I have etched the blade. Perhaps I could have etched darker but I stopped when I thought it looked allright, no point in overdoing it. Anyways, sharing some pictures of the result.
Attached Images

Old 17th June 2017, 09:03 PM   #12
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
From what i can see Jean i think i would e willing to accept this as gonjo iras. As you note, the wadidang fairly long and if i am not mistaken i believe i see the remnants of greneng along it.
Hello David,
Yes, ganja iras is a fair possibility, the bottom face of the blade is smooth, but if it is the case I would say that the sor-soran seriously lacks harmony! (gandik too short, poorly carved pejetan, kembang kacang, greneng, and curvature of the bottom face).
Regards

Last edited by Jean; 17th June 2017 at 09:28 PM.