Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 16th May 2006, 04:18 AM   #1
fjfredericks

Default My small collection and a question.

Hi All,

I have been lurking the forum for the past year and joined recently. This is my first post. I wanted to show my small but growing collection. I started by collecting samurai items and have also grown into moro weapons. I also have a few japanese matchlocks. Is the last blade in this thread a latok? I used the search feature of the forum but do not recognize my sword as any of the swords pitcured. Thanks for any help.

Regards,
fjf
Attached Images

fjfredericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 05:16 AM   #2
ariel

The one in the last pic on top is, I think, Parang Amanremu (with a strange handle, would love to see details).
The last one.... Looks like strange Panabas without a handle. What is the thing at the base of the blade, at the bottom ?
And do not be too modest: it looks like a fine collection to me!
Welcome to the club!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 06:20 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

WELCOME TO THE FORUM IT LOOKS LIKE A NICE COLLECTION AND NOT REALLY THAT SMALL, NICELY DISPLAYED AS WELL. THE LAST SWORD IS A STRANGE ONE AND THE SCABBARD DOES INDEED LOOK BLADE LIKE I HAD ONE WITH A SIMULAR TIP BUT A STRAIGHT BLADE CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS CALLED NOW BUT IT WAS IN THE OLD FORUM ARCHIVES ALONG WITH SEVERAL OTHER STYLES FROM THE SAME MAKER AND TIME. ALL WERE POSTED SEPARATELY UNDER "VANDOO'S MORO SWORDS" I THINK.

A CLOSE UP OF THE HANDLE AND THE CARVING ON THE SCABBARD WOULD BE HELPFUL. THE CARVING DESIGN ON THE SCABBARD KIND OF LOOKS DAYAK BUT THAT DOSEN'T MEAN BORNEO WOULD BE THE ONLY PLACE IT COULD BE FROM. GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 08:56 AM   #4
VVV

Welcome to the forum,

The last weapon is a Ladieng. A Sumatran Klewang used in Aceh (with another hilt) and also the neighbouring Batak tribes. The hilt looks like a Batak ancestor figure and the open(?) scabbard also looks like Batak work.

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 03:37 PM   #5
ariel

Ooops...
I thought the last one was a blade! My computer gave it a metallic look. My fault.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 04:10 PM   #6
katana

If its any consolation Ariel, I too had the impression that it was metallic.

Hi fjfredericks, very nice collection, indeed.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 05:22 PM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

I would love to see those Pira out of their scabbards .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2006, 02:42 AM   #8
fjfredericks

Smile

Thanks everybody for your kind words, help and welcome . I will do some further reseach on the web for the sugesstions that have been given to me. It has been a real pleasure to read and learn from all the forumites over the past year.

I will try to post some closeups of the sword and scabbard, I will do the same for the pira. I'm still here at work on the west coast and looking to getting home and taking some photos.

Best Regards,
FJF otherwise known as Axe Dog !
Old 17th May 2006, 06:30 AM   #9
fjfredericks

Default Closeups

Hi everybody!

I have some closeups of the last blade. Do the carvings on the handle and scabbard help narrow down area or type of Blade? Is there any signifcance of the carvings and the interaction of the carvings of blade in the scabbard?

Thanks for all your help!

Axe Dog
Attached Images

Old 18th May 2006, 12:59 AM   #10
Battara
EAAF Staff

fjfedericks, nice Indonesian piece. How about the piras next to the mask? Do you do kali, escrima, or some other Filipino martial art? I noticed the appropriate triangle upon which several Moro/PI pieces rest.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 01:17 AM   #11
fjfredericks

Hi Battara,

I am indeed an escrimador. I have enjoyed it and other martial arts for many years. I study escrima and JKD under Guru Richard Bustillo. I am grateful for this forum and have learned much from coming here.

Best Regards!
Axe Dog
Old 18th May 2006, 02:47 PM   #12
VVV

Hi FJ,

If you wish to narrow down the area it's probably made close to Lake Toba in NW Sumatra.
Medan is the nearest big city on a map.

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2006, 03:59 AM   #13
moose

Talking Escrima

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I haven't posted in a year. Found this thread while searching some posts.

I also study JKD and Doce Pares escrima. My school's linage is through Richard, he came out last year.
I'm really pumped because Cacoy Canete is flying in tommorrow night for a semi private seminar Saturday.

Very exciting for me. I've been waiting for two years for this to come together. So I've pulled out the PI stuff and wiped them down..did some vinegar etching etc. Hopped on the forum and reread some old posts...just to see if any questions to ask him would come to mind.

Plan on showing him some of my collection, asking some questions etc. I've heard his Espada y Daga is some of the best.

Again, I apologize for straying off topic,

moose (very excited in Mich.)
moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2006, 06:57 AM   #14
fjfredericks

Michael,
Thanks for the guidance. Lake Tobo seems to be a very interesting place.

Moose,
Have a great time. Cacoy is coming out here in June for the annual instructors conference at the IMB Academy .

Thanks,
Old 19th May 2006, 01:19 PM   #15
moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjfredericks
Moose,
Have a great time. Cacoy is coming out here in June for the annual instructors conference at the IMB Academy .

Thanks,
Fj,

Yes, you might see my sifu out there (Eric Smith) if he can swing it.
I didn't mention it but Prof. Walt Hartenburg (sp?) is coming up from Indiana also this weekend to see Cacoy. If we had Richard too it would be a "Trifecta" for my style.
That would be awesome. The big three all in the house at once.

thanks,
moose
moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2006, 02:52 PM   #16
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

VVV WAS RIGHT ON ON THE SWORD THE CARVING ON HANDLE AND SCABBARD IS DEFINITELY BATACK. THEY WERE GREAT TRADERS AND THEIR OUTPOSTS AND INFLUENCE IS ALL OVER A WIDE AREA IN THAT PART OF THE WORLD. I HAVE NO KNOWLEGE OF WHERE THIS TYPE OF ITEM IS BEING MADE BUT AS VVV SAID SUMATRA IS A GOOD POSSIBILITY. I HAVE SEEN THIS TYPE OF WORK FOR SALE IN BALI WHICH IS A GOOD MARKET AND DRAWS FROM THE REST OF INDONESIA. I HAVE NEVER HAD THE PLEASURE OF VISITING SUMATRA BUT HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO.

MOOSE GOOD TO HEAR FROM YA, ITS ALWAYS A PLEASURE TO SEE SOMEONE INTERESTED AND EXCITED ABOUT LEARNING REGARDLESS IF ITS COLLECTING OR MARTIAL ARTS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2006, 03:20 PM   #17
MABAGANI

Axe Dog
Welcome, nice collection, can we get closeups of the Moro spearheads?
btw is that a dog brother connection to your handle?
MABAGANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2006, 10:37 PM   #18
fjfredericks

Default Closeups

Hi MABAGANI,

Here are some closeups of the spears. I believe that spears 1-3 are moro. I do not know what spear #4 is, but I like it anyway. i will also try to take some better pictures showing grain structure if I can.

My handle is from an apache knife fighting group called ghostdogs. I have heard of the dog brothers and was at their fall gathering. I live in the Los Angeles (southbay) area close to where they are.

Best Regards
Attached Images