Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 16th April 2018, 05:16 AM   #1
Paul B.

Default Keris Sumatra ivory handle

Who can help me identify this Sumtran keris hulu (my guess is Lampung) ?
Clearly from (marine?) ivory with old patination.
Attached Images

Paul B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 04:13 PM   #2
Paul B.

It has a big odd (very round) peksi hole. Size: 11 mm.
This is not meant to be a walking stick handle is it?
Attached Images

Old 17th April 2018, 05:41 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

I'm surprised that no one has responded yet Paul, but perhaps, like myself, they don't know what to say. It certainly looks like a keris hilt form and i agree that Sumatra is most likely, but frankly it doesn't seem to fall neatly into any style i have seen before. The rather large pesi hole is also a bit unusual, but i would still think it's intention was to be a hilt.
Frankly, while it does appear to have some age it does not seem to be too old. It has some yellowing and patina, but the carved lines are not particularly worn. Color and patina can be added to ivory easier than some other materials. I suspect this might be from the latter half of the 20th century.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2018, 06:46 PM   #4
Sajen

Hello Paul,

it's a plastic fake handle, send it to me and I dispose it for you!

Seriously, I would agree with you that it will be from Lampung or surrounding area. And when it is from sperm whale tooth (what I guess) it would explain the rather big pesi hole, the natural holes from this teeth are rather big, it will has had a peg from wood or other material with a smaller bore in the hole, I've seen this by whale tooth handles or very old, worn out handle holes before.
Other as David I think that this handle has a good age, I just compare the patina with whale tooth handles from my own collection. It's a very nice handle, congrats!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2018, 08:04 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
And when it is from sperm whale tooth (what I guess) it would explain the rather big pesi hole, the natural holes from this teeth are rather big, it will has had a peg from wood or other material with a smaller bore in the hole, I've seen this by whale tooth handles or very old, worn out handle holes before.
Other as David I think that this handle has a good age, I just compare the patina with whale tooth handles from my own collection. It's a very nice handle, congrats!
Yes, the hole at the base of a sperm whale tooth is rather big, but generally bigger than this. This would have to be from a larger tooth to account for the bend of the hilt. The smaller teeth don't bend like that. So it would have to be cut out of a large tooth with a greater area to account for the shape of the hilt. These larger teeth have rather wide openings at the natural bottom.
Can you define what you mean by "good age"?
Attached Images

Old 17th April 2018, 11:22 PM   #6
Sajen

Hello David,

you are correct about the natural holes by sperm whale teeth, i just was looking for an explanation and want to bring the stone running.

I think that the handle is minimum 80 years old, maybe older.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2018, 01:28 PM   #7
Paul B.

As far as I am concerned it has an old and so genuine colouration and the patination can't be faked.
So I assume it is at least 80 years old. Not a standard model.
As it isn't made from elephant ivory hairlines are hardly or not present.
Old 18th April 2018, 04:25 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Well, i'm not suggesting that this hilt is "faked", but patina and coloration on ivory can and has indeed been faked. It's done all the time and unfortunately part of the reason governments have recently moved to ban "antique" ivory as well as new.
But i do believe this hilt has some age. I wouldn't really push it much beyond 80 years though.
Old 18th April 2018, 08:30 PM   #9
kai

Hello Paul,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
I think that the handle is minimum 80 years old, maybe older.
I'm less optimistic than Detlef - this does not look like an old hilt to me based on stylistic details. I'd bet on a fairly modern example that has been stained to look old.

I'm at a loss regarding the size of the pesi hole - it doesn't look anything like a worn old one; I also don't think it's a natural cavity.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 12:09 AM   #10
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
I'm at a loss regarding the size of the pesi hole - it doesn't look anything like a worn old one; I also don't think it's a natural cavity.
Yes, edges are just too sharp every where and that hole looks so precisely round without a chip to be seen around its circumference.
Old 19th April 2018, 11:37 AM   #11
Paul B.

Welll these Bali handles have pretty sharp peksi holes but the handles are very old. Not the best indicator.
Attached Images