Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th August 2007, 05:27 PM   #1
rand

Default Persian Musketeers/ Rifleholders (?)

This armours mark on a barrel reads, " Amal-e Kuchak Ali bar Tofangiran", translates to "The work of Kuchak Ali for the musketeers/rifleholders", must thank Manouchehr M. for the transaltion.

Do you have information on "for the musketeers/rifleholders" means? this mark is on a Northwest Persian firearm.

rand
Attached Images

Last edited by rand; 30th August 2007 at 09:04 PM.
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 06:39 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Rand
I went browsing on the term Tofangiran and i spotted this piece in your blog. A very nice example indeed. A pitty the stock is not pictured.
Have you had those other inscriptions translated, or only the "estucheon" so far ?
It seems as the term Tofang is the name for musket already since the 16th century. So are the Musketeers Corps. You will need someone well within this area, to relate your musket marks with a specific situation.
Good luck
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2007, 07:05 PM   #3
rand

Default Photo's of rifle inscriptions

Hello Fernando,

Am posting pics of rifle for you, let me know any thoughts you have....

Persian Gold Inlay Insription

Persians often express ownerships using metaphors in poetry.

In Persian
āhan tan va ātash dēl va hastī kāh ast sūzandē-yē jān-ē khasm shāhanshāh ast
The iron is like the body, the heart is like the fire, and life is like the strawThe burner [destroyer] of the enemy’s life is the king of kings

In Arabic
Ma sha' allah, la hawl walla qowat ella billah
God does as he will, there is no strength or power except of God

Isā-yē Arab kē zobdeyē ashbāh astAnis mūnes begāh-ē afrāh ast
The Arab Jesus who is the best [most benevolent] among the best [referring to the prophets]Is the helper and the relief of pain through the time of suffering and pain

Ma sha' allah, la hawl walla qowat ella billah Saneye 1235
God does as he will, there is no strength or power except of God, the year 1235

1235 is 1821 on the Christian calendar

Need to thanks Manouchehr M. for translation. Am still searching for meanings of metaphors relating to this translation.

rand
Attached Images

Old 2nd September 2007, 07:13 PM   #4
rand

Default Photo's of rifle

Some photo's of the Northwest Persian percussion lock rifle

rand
Attached Images

Old 2nd September 2007, 07:21 PM   #5
rand

Default Overall Photo of rifle

Overall photo of rifle....
Attached Images

Old 2nd September 2007, 07:26 PM   #6
rand

Default Various closeup photos

Closeup photos.......
Attached Images

Old 2nd September 2007, 07:38 PM   #7
rand

Default Persian Percussion Rifle

One aspect of this Persian firearm that is surprising is the 1821 date for an Islamic rifle having a percussion lock. This is very early for any percussion lock let alone one on a Middle Eastern run.

The lock and trigger are European in manufacture, that applies to the decoration on those items also, everything else on this arm is pure Persian. Note the pins in the lock plate, lock seems to be type used my European sporting rifles but I have little information in this area.

The stock is made from many sections of wood, is identifies as a type of Walnut root. Sections of wood stock are cut at 45 degree angles to barrel, glued and pinned with an ivory peg.

Interesting to note that the ramrod is inlaid down its length with a rose decoration inlaid in gold, the rose was very popular motif in both Persia and the Caucasus.

rand
Old 2nd September 2007, 11:11 PM   #8
fernando

Hi Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand
Am posting pics of rifle for you, let me know any thoughts you have....
rand
My first thaught is thanking you for having posted these pictures ... your piece is superb.
However you should perhaps consider that the Persian calendar is not the usual Islamic-Hijriah one, and in such case the year 1235 corresponds to Christian 1856-1857 .
This would explain the imported British bar lock, or why not a good local copy , fitted in the musket at the period or even at a later stage. This would explain the different decoration, again why not a local work ? Note the same efects on the steel wedge welded onto the barrel.
Continuing with the fantasy, assuming these Musketeer Corps were some kind of elite troops, timely percussion conversions would be plausible.
It's quite a previlege to have all those wonderfull inscriptions translated ... Manouchehr is rather an available person.
Thanks again for sharing the pictures with me and other interested members. Although the smashing majority of the Forum members are fans of edged weapons, we are not exactly alone
fernando
Old 3rd September 2007, 02:12 AM   #9
rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Hi Rand

My first thaught is thanking you for having posted these pictures ... your piece is superb.
However you should perhaps consider that the Persian calendar is not the usual Islamic-Hijriah one, and in such case the year 1235 corresponds to Christian 1856-1857 .
This would explain the imported British bar lock, or why not a good local copy , fitted in the musket at the period or even at a later stage. This would explain the different decoration, again why not a local work ? Note the same efects on the steel wedge welded onto the barrel.
Continuing with the fantasy, assuming these Musketeer Corps were some kind of elite troops, timely percussion conversions would be plausible.
It's quite a previlege to have all those wonderfull inscriptions translated ... Manouchehr is rather an available person.
Thanks again for sharing the pictures with me and other interested members. Although the smashing majority of the Forum members are fans of edged weapons, we are not exactly alone
fernando
Hi Fernando,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the firearm. Regarding the date have have it reviewed by two Persians for translation and they both were in agreement on the 1821 date. In fact the possibility of 1856-1857 was never suggested, but I did like that you pointed out that as a possibility. So is certain we can rely on the 1821 dating, everythng else about the weapon ties in with that dating also.

Have had European 19th century firearm collectors at the Vegas Show examine this this to get their opinion. Had attended this show primarily for that purpose. Had thought it would be a fairly easy thing for them to do, I was wrong in that assumption. The feedback was that the lock either Austrian or Spanish, similar to locks were used on game rifles and of a high quality.

Not sure what you mean by the steel wedge on the barrel, you may be looking at two photos where the barrel is shown in closeup next to the stock.

So far I have no information on the musketeers, or what that phrase means but I would like to find out. There has been a proposed metaphor of the writing on the barrel that I am trying to collaborate regarding ownership.

When I first saw musketeer the Ottoman Jannisaries came to mind, but am not familiar with any Persian equilalant. Also this seems more a sporting rifle with great range and very heavy too........

rand
Old 3rd September 2007, 11:45 PM   #10
fernando

Hi Rand
Once there is no misinterpretation with the date, i must say i am deeply impressed.
In 1821, much prior to the adoption of percussion by Military forces, namely British ( 1836/9 ), only hunting guns would have percussion actions and, even those, only pertaining to big shots, right?
It really is intriguing how such lock has shown up in Persia.
Old 4th September 2007, 01:20 AM   #11
rand

Default Double Checking date

Hey Fernando,

In double checking data found one opinion was only 1235 and the other 1235/1821. Am now making inquires to confirm Christan date of 1821 for sure.

The Persian calendar is based on the solar calendar and they consider themselves to be decendant from the sun. While the Muslim calendar is based on a shorter lunar cycle and the consider themselves decendant from the moon. This is a basic difference between the two cultures, aside from creed and language. Both calendars start at the Hijera, when Muhammad emigrated from Medinna to Mecca in 622.

The Persian calendar you basically add 622 to equal the Christan calendar. The Muslim (Hejira), you subtract .03% then add 622 for the Christian equivalant. The Persian calendar begins the first day of Spring, Assume thats the reason for the one year varience.

The Persian calendar was reformed in 1925 and am not sure how it relates to earlier dates.

If the 1821 date holds up this firearm will be a very early Persian example of a percussion lock.

Its hard to judge from photo's, but am quite sure the lock and trigger are European manufacture and not an Islamic copy. The types of tools marks, gold application technique and use of pins are the leading indications of being from Europe.

This rifle looks to be a large bore hunting rifle with good weight to it, you would want a bipod or shoulder to rest it on.

Thought that was a really good question about date,

rand
Old 4th September 2007, 07:02 AM   #12
rand

Default Update on date!!!

Hey Fernando,

Just got a preliminary answer to the date question.

Quote....

"The pieces of arms and armor from the Timurid, Safavid, Afshar, Zand, and Qajar periods I have seen are all dated with hegira calendar.
Selected items are dated with Persian calendar but not arms and armor."
Manouchehr M.

So the 1821 Christian calendar date holds true fro the Persian percussion rifle....

Now I just need to find verification on what the metaphors mean. Persians spoke with verses of poetry that were metaphors, am still looking for a reference of metaphors for Persians poems.

rand

rand
Old 4th September 2007, 06:59 PM   #13
rand

Quote:
Hi Rand
Once there is no misinterpretation with the date, i must say i am deeply impressed.
In 1821, much prior to the adoption of percussion by Military forces, namely British ( 1836/9 ), only hunting guns would have percussion actions and, even those, only pertaining to big shots, right?
It really is intriguing how such lock has shown up in Persia.
Hey Fernando,

Have to totally agree with you on the point about it being surprising to find this persussion lock on an a Persian arm of this date. Think we can agree that this Persian rifle is of very high quality and this may be a clue as to why this lock shows up at this early date. This certainly would be considered the best lock available at the time of manufacture and use.

The closeup photos do not do the gun justice as they wash out the true color. The pictures from a distance give you a much better impression of the rifle true appearance.

This is a large bore, rifled, long barreled firearm that has seen very little use. What wear there is on it appears to be mostly from cleaning, the gold inlay was originally thicker on the barrel is now at the surface level and the raised gold application on the ramrod worn to where you can see the incised groves for inlay and border of inlay.

rand
Old 11th September 2007, 06:01 PM   #14
rand

Default Percussion Lock

The percussion system was invented in 1807 by Rev Foresythe but was not perfected until 1814. Add travel time and its gets even more interesting.

The percussion lock was made possible after a Scot invented the percussion cap. Its said the the flintlock would fire seven out of ten times, the percussion cap virtually 100% firing, gunsmiths immedialy saw the benefits of the percussion lock.

http://www.floridareenactorsonline.c...ockbarrell.htm

Above is a brief history of the rifle....

rand
Old 11th September 2007, 06:23 PM   #15
rand

Default 1823 London Magazine article about percussion lock

This is a quote from the London Magazine, by John Scott, John Taylor about the New Percussion lock.

"New Percussion Lock

Mr Forrest, gun-maker, in Jedurgh, has lately contrived a percussion lock, which with a double barrelled shorgun will answer for eighty discharges, with scarcely and further trouble than merely filling the magazine before setting out. by the intervention of a cyclinder bewtixt the pan and the magazine, on turning which a pan is filled, all communication with the gunpowder is cut off; for whatever position the cycinder is placed, the priming in the magazine is never brought in contact with the powder; all possibility of accident is thus prevented; that with the greatest carelessness there is no danger. The priming is the same as that is used with Forsythes lock, three parts of superoxymuriate of potash,one of flowers of sulpher, and one of charcoal."

rand
Old 11th September 2007, 06:52 PM   #16
rand

Default Quote referencing use of lock

The following is a quote form "A Dictionary of Military History", edited by Andre Corvisier.

"Following Howard's discovery of fulminate of mercury in 1800, firearms developed percussion systems to replace the flintlock. Percussion sporting guns were in common use by 1820 but not until 1838 did the British army begin to replace its flintlocks with percussion locks, the Pattern 1838. Most European armies adopted the new device during the 1840's. "

rand
Old 11th September 2007, 07:31 PM   #17
rand

Default Discovery, Invention, effects on history

The discovery of fulminate of mercury by Howard followed by a Scots invention of the percussion cap, which then opened the door for Forsythes invention of the percussion lock shows the process for the evolution of the percussion lock.

And we have reference for how dependable this new lock(percussion) was considered at the time of use.

This lock was so successful that within a span of 25 years European armies adopted it by both retrofit or reissue of new arms to its soldiers.

The percussion lock on this Persian firearm has a rifled barrel so the term rifle aptly fits this weapon.

It has a very long heavy barrel similar to what the plains rifles in the USA was that was developed for the heavier game of settlers heading West, bison, bear, elk and so forth. The larger projectile would also not deflect as easily when shot through brush as its lighter Kentucky rifle counterpart would.

rand
Old 26th October 2007, 07:17 PM   #18
rand

Default Signature on Lock Farsi?

Had just received an opinion that the lock was Persian manufacture and dating to about 1845. So took more photo's relating to decoration near hammer on lock and when looking at new photo's enlarged on computer found a signature on the lock! Believe its most likely to be Farsi.

Not sure if gun was made with this lock at date of 1820 that is on barrel, which would certainly be possible. If lock would have put on later the firearm would have needed to have had a flintlock instead of a miquelet lock, that wouldn't be in the Persian taste in 1820 and seems unlikely.

What a fun puzzle to ponder...

rand
Attached Images

Old 26th October 2007, 07:20 PM   #19
rand

Default Signature a little clearer

Signature made a little clearer....

rand
Attached Images

Old 26th October 2007, 08:16 PM   #20
fernando

Hi Rand.
Let me talk some nonsense.
Maybe trying a different aproach, by re focusing the eyes on the piece.
Why not the barrel having being made at an early stage, for flint or miquelete action, and later mounted on a new stock, with a percussion made lock coming with it. This would explain the decoration on the barrel being different than on the lock and tab, as also giving a more plausible date for both lock and barrel.
Fernando
Old 26th October 2007, 08:37 PM   #21
rand

Default Its a possiblity

Hey Fernando,

Don't think you suggestion is nonsense at all, its a definate possibility. Would want to keep in mind that there would be a maker who specialized in locks, another in barrels, another in stocks and so forth.

How would you explain the percussion lock being put onto a stock where a miquelet lock was?

If the lock maker can be identified and be dated nearer the middle of the 19th century that would clear the way for more speculation. Either way its a fascinating puzzle to unfold.

rand
Attached Images

Old 26th October 2007, 09:43 PM   #22
Jens Nordlunde

Rand, you have a fantastic collection – thank you for sharing.

When it comes to tulwars, several people were involved in making them; one made the blade, one the hilt, and one the outline of the decoration and another one made the decoration. Knowing this it is not difficult to see that it is more than likely that several craftsmen have been involved in making such a rifle, and like with the swords, parts of the rifle are likely to have been used, and reused over a longer period.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 08:13 PM   #23
fernando

Hi Rand

I know you are completely aware of the following, but here i go:

Usually when you want to convert a flint or miquelete gun into percussion, you adapt the existing lock by taking some parts and changing others, like the cock. This way you leave the old lock plate in its particular stock wood inset.
However some times the only part you want to save is the barrel, due to its quality or sentimental reason and, in such case, the new stock is configured to allocate the new system lock plate. The only actual alteration is on the barrel, that has to receive a new type of fire hole.

I think your gun falls in this second version.

I am posting pictures of both versions, from my junk collection.
The first is a Spanish miquelete hunting gun, very much worn, with very old repairs, converted to percussion. Around 1830 massive quantities of muskets and pistols were converted to percussion, both military and civilian.

The second example is a Portuguese clavina, dating from the Napoleonic invasions, with a ( extremely short ) barrel originated in a flintlock action and later fitted into a barrel with a percussion lock.

Both these modifications were in principle a regional civilian work.

Naturally these pieces had an agitated life and have a long story to tell, but by no means they can compare to your luxury rifle.

Kind regards
Fernando
Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 27th October 2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 27th October 2007, 08:20 PM   #24
fernando

The clavina
Attached Images

Old 27th October 2007, 08:59 PM   #25
Battara
EAAF Staff

Wonderful pieces folks, many thanks for sharing these!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 09:32 PM   #26
Jens Nordlunde

Thank you Fernando, they are really very nice pieces, and although I do not collect firearms myself, I do appreciate them, and the decoration of them.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 12:21 AM   #27
rand

Default Translation of Signature on Lock Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand
Signature made a little clearer....

rand

Have a translation now for the signature on the lock plate. Was told it was difficult to read, that is not to surprising when you consider the tallest letter is only about 1/8" in height and the entire signature is about 1/4" in width.

Its Farsi and reads," Amal-e Marsim" , translation thanks to Manouchehr

Could not find a reference for this signature, thats not uncommen, most signatures are not cataloged or published. Would have been very helpful to have known what time period this man worked.

rand
Old 29th October 2007, 09:34 PM   #28
archer

Default Persian Musketeers/Rifleholder(?)

Rand, Here is a shot from Topkapi Palace in Istanbul. Sure looks like a not too distant relative of your piece.
Regards, Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 06:13 AM   #29
rand

Default Turkish Rifles

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting the photo's of the firearms in Topkapi Palace. They are both Turkish, the firearm below is a miquelet lock mounted on a Turkish stock. The rifle on the top has a flintlock action mounted on a European style stock. Both rifles are profusely ornamented with Turkish designs and most likely all parts are Turkish manufacture.

The Miquelet lock was the predecessor of the flintlock but never took hold in the Islamic countries where the miquelet lock remained the action of choice. This may because it had fewer parts making it more servicable.

The percussion lock was a huge jump in reliability and safety, it would have been very sought after by those that knew about it.

rand
Old 30th October 2007, 06:15 AM   #30
rand

Default lock on Clavina

Quote:
The clavina
Correct me if I am wrong, but believe the type of percussion lock that is on the Clavina dates prior to 1835.

rand