Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th October 2023, 05:37 AM   #1
toaster5sqn

Default Possible Chinese sword

I've received an enquiry to help identify the sword pictured. It was donated to the Russell Museum in Northland New Zealand by a Stuart Partridge about 50 years ago and his grandson is now attempting to learn more about it.
The grandson says that his own web searching has brought up the suggestion that it is a 19th centaury Chinese river pirate sword, which is something he is confident his grandfather wasn't.

Robert
Attached Images

toaster5sqn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2023, 02:15 PM   #2
werecow

The hilt looks like those found on the Chinese hudiedao or "butterfly swords".

Name:  Double_Sword_with_Scabbard_MET_36.25.1487a_c_001_Apr2017_brightened.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  89.9 KB

Not sure about the blade; the profile of it reminds me somewhat of the profile of Vietnamese guom swords but just from eyeballing the depth of the fuller it looks more substantial than the guom I have here (not the one shown here, I just picked that off of google).

Name:  IMG_7599.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  29.0 KB
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2023, 05:42 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

These are intriguing weapons, and as noted associated with the various forms of Chinese martial arts, with these hudeidao becoming rather a trope associated with the notions of 'river pirates' in popular literature and media.
The 'river pirate' theme of course in not exclusive to China, but there it has become more well known due to US activity there, especially on the Yangtze River in the 1920s.
This was depicted in the 1966 Steve McQueen film "The Sand Pebble", which loosely referenced events involving a US Navy gunboat on that river.

While this topic is far outside my range, I became familiar with these 'butterfly knives' through Gavin Nugent, whose interest and knowledge on them truly piqued my interests.
Actually the use of these by martial artists (Shaolin, Kung Fu and several other forms) seems to have had the objective of injuring opponents rather than dispatching them. The actual knives used by 'river pirates' as I have understood do not have the hand guards.

The association with Indo Chinese (Vietnamese) guom is understandable as these regions were Cochin China and profoundly Chinese in demographic.

It would be fascinating to learn more of the history of the gentleman who owned these knives, and there are of course any number of possibilities where he might have obtained them. During the 'Boxer Rebellion' in 1900, of course, all manner of these kinds of weapons were brought out as souvenirs, and martial artists were literally full force everywhere, presenting dramatic and theatrical performances to intimidate and dissuade the 'foreigners' in occupation.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 30th October 2023 at 05:53 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2023, 06:38 PM   #4
kronckew

Cool sword. looks like a longer version of my HudeiDaos/Chinese Pirate short swords.
The one with the D guard is a singleton with a full oval x-section grip, not one of a 'butterfly' style pair with one grip side flat. The one with a small circular guard has a round grip.
Attached Images

kronckew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2023, 04:33 AM   #5
toaster5sqn

Stuart's grandson has asked me to pass on his thanks to all who provided information about these types of swords.

Robert
toaster5sqn is offline   Reply With Quote