Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th January 2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Keris Jambi?

Hello, first thank's to all for the help by my first post.
I bought a keris in 1994 with a Jambi hilt but I don't know if the sheat and the blade of the same origin. The blade is a 9-luk one with what I think is Blarak Ngirid pamor. On the front side there are same forge mistakes. Maybe some from you have experience with keris from this area and can help me.
Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Sajen

Sorry, the pics too small. Here in a better size.
Attached Images

Old 18th January 2009, 06:45 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Nice keris. I am pretty sure that is not Blarak Ngirid though.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 07:44 PM   #4
Marcokeris

Nice. Pamor seems largansir.
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 04:07 PM   #5
Sajen

Hello David and Marcokeris, by the pamor I don't have been sure, like this I've never seen before.
No other opinons about the dress and the blade? Is it Sumatra?
Regards,
Detlef
Old 20th January 2009, 12:07 AM   #6
kulbuntet

Looks like sumatra, and the pamor...nice.. never seen before too. Maybe a dwi warna. with in middle Sada Saler/Adeg Siji or Lidi Sebatang combined with a other.. can tell witch.. looks like reversed bulu ayam.. have somthing like it on bali keris.. little bit difrent. real silver lines thin. of witch i stil dont know real pamor name. I stil have to make photo's of couple of keris for my site, this one is one of them.. if i can find the time this week gona try to post them.

regards, nice keris!

Last edited by kulbuntet; 20th January 2009 at 12:22 AM.
kulbuntet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 03:48 PM   #7
Sajen

Thank's kulbuntet.
Old 20th January 2009, 08:56 PM   #8
A. G. Maisey

There are several possibilities for naming of this pamor. It might be lar gangsir, or kenaga ginubah, or gumbala geni, but probably most people would geneticise it---as we do with the wos wutah variations--- and call it ganggeng kanyut. If the cover was complete it would be easier.

The line down the middle of the blade is not part of the motif, it is evidence of inferior welding; that line is a weld joint, as such, in a perfectly executed weld, it should be invisible.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 01:24 AM   #9
Sajen

Thank you Mr. Maisey for identify the pamor. Yes, the wash out pamor and the welding/forging mistake have been the reason why I don't want to take it at first. But the reasonable price and the nice sarung/dress let change my opion.
Old 21st January 2009, 02:12 AM   #10
A. G. Maisey

Sajen, its an old keris, and its not a bad keris. Not all keris are masterworks of the art. This is a good, solid, representative keris of its type, personally, I like it.

My own collection is the product of more than 50 years of collecting, I do have some very exceptional pieces in that collection, but I also have a lot of keris that are far, very far, from perfect, and if I consider those keris with which I would not part, most of the keris in this category are the very imperfect ones that I feel a bond with, rather than the princely pieces adorned in gold.

When you buy keris, it is perhaps best to choose those keris that you personally like, and think you might be able to feel something for, rather than a piece of perfection that leaves you cold.If you can find the aesthetically beautiful keris, and you feel something for it as well, that's when you've hit the jackpot.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 09:52 PM   #11
Sajen

Hello Mr. Maisey, thank's for your reply. Today I am happy to buy this keris long time ago. It's true, sometimes I have a moore deep feeling to a keris which will seem to others not so valuable then a piece with ivory or kintah mas. i have some "every day keris" which I think they have still the original dress and the patination show me a little from the life of this piece. Such a keris I will prefer then one of the pieces you can see so often on e-bay, old blade and a new valuable dress. I don't have something against a new dress for a respectable old blade, pls. no missunderstanding. But I don't will get a feeling for a dazzler.
Regards,
sajen