Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th January 2007, 03:38 AM   #1
daemondamian

Question Shark tooth weapon id

Hi folks, [photos attached! ]
recently an email discussion about sharks led to a shark tooth 'sword' I have which my friend suggested could be actually be of Pacific Islands native origin.

I can't remember exactly but I believe we found the sword somewhere
in the house after we moved in. The previous owner actually lived here with
her husband since the house was built about 50 years ago and she collected
lots of rocks [alot of which were also left here] and possibly travelled.

Anyway I've read through old threads here, and googled. I think roughly based on what I've read that it could be of micronesian origin though at the same I keep wondering if it's just a tourists souveneir.

I came across several listings here is one that has ended:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-OCEANIC-...QQcmdZViewItem

It is quite similar in several ways, particularly the weaving on the handle, the binding, construction and arrangement [teeth are 'drilled' placed in between split wood/bamboo and then tied/bound to the main piece of wood]

Some of the binding has come undone- it looks like it could be black hair. There are three teeth missing and the weaving is unravelling on the base [should I wrap some plasticwrap around it to stop it from further deteriation?].

Anyway my photos are attached, and I'd really apreciate it if anyone could help id it, and of course if anyone wants to email me privately re 'value' [if it has any] that would be great also!

Regards
Damian.
Attached Images

daemondamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 02:54 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Have a look ..
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...rk+tooth+sword
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 02:32 AM   #3
fearn

Hi Damian,

What you have is a te unun from Kiribati. Basically, it's (probably) made from coconut wood, with split coconut or similar wood forming the splints that the teeth are tied to. At a guess, the cordage is a mix of coconut fiber cordage (aka sennit) and (probably) human hair. The teeth are from a requiem shark of some sort, probably (though not certainly) a grey reef shark.

Age-wise, I'd guess post World War II, but I don't think it's one of the more recent ones that showed up on the string Rick directed you to. That makes it a tourist piece, but it's more or less in the traditional form.

You might see these pieces called "tebutje," although that is not a word in the Kiribati language. Kiribati is a phoneticization of "Gilbert" and these used to be called the "Gilbert Islands" or the "Kingsmill Islands."

Repair wise, I'm cringing a bit at the idea of wrapping plastic wrap to hold it together. That will promote mold growth, and that's about it. Duck tape is also out, if you were thinking on those lines.

Although I'm NOT an expert on it, I'd suggest restoration, in the form of reweaving the handle, and (possibly) replacing some of the lost teeth. It's pretty easy to get shark's teeth on ebay, you can bore the holes with the awl on a swiss army knife (wear gloves!) and if you have a friend who can donate some hair (long and black would be preferable), you can also find directions for wrapping cordage on the web and try your hand at it. It depends on how energetic you are and how much care you want to put into it.

Nice piece! If you're in the mood to let it go, I'd be happy to take it off your hands...

F

Nice piece!

Last edited by fearn; 27th January 2007 at 03:39 AM.
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote