Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th November 2013, 08:54 PM   #31
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_w
I have some serious doubts about the “Blunderbuss Gun”. It looks a lot like some 18th or even 19th century Blunderbusses that I have seen attributed to Turkey / North Africa and the tourist trade. What do you think?

Hi Dana,

I think you are quite right with your guess, especially as the muzzle flares that abruptly. I'm afaid a good black powder load and a couple of musket balls (as was the usual load for blunderbusses, not just 'blunder') would have blown that barrel to kingdom come ...

Back to the facts: this 'Mayflower' curiosity features a genuine early-style Northern European flintlock mechanism of ca. 1690-1700.

Best,
Michael

Last edited by Matchlock; 19th November 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 09:09 PM   #32
Matchlock
(deceased)

Right, Doh - Homer Simpson style!

Best,
Michael

Last edited by Matchlock; 20th November 2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 19th November 2013, 09:36 PM   #33
dana_w

I'd love a chance to see your collection in person sometime Michael, but I would need to wear a "drool bag".
dana_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 10:40 AM   #34
Matchlock
(deceased)

Quote:
I'd love a chance to see your collection in person sometime Michael, but I would need to wear a "drool bag".

Hi Dana,

I would really love to guide you thru my coollection !

Once you have made it across the Great Water that is generally called ocean, on one of those huge and shiny 'pteranodons' that smart folks tell us Bavarians about, and down to the beautiful green state we call Bavaria (everybody here will be wielding a beer mug, I promise you ) and have landed at either Munich airport - which only is some 80 km south from where I live - or Nuremberg, some 130 km north of my home - , you will easily find my home town by train or car.

Make sure though that that 'drool bag' of yours is big and strong enough to hold some 70 kgs of what I suppose you might love to put in from my 'coollection', and also prepare doing some heavy exercise before, to be able and tote that bag without leaving the slightest trace of exertion that could alert me!

Seriously: you are welcome!

Best,
Michael

Last edited by Matchlock; 20th November 2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 20th November 2013, 02:45 PM   #35
Matchlock
(deceased)

Quote:
Thanks Miqueleter! That may well turn out to be the “earliest contemporary description or illustration of a blunderbuss like weapon in England”. Is there any more information in the book about who made the blunderbuss, who owns it, or which museum it is in?

From the photo it looks like the blunderbuss has a doglock, so I did a few searches using the terms “blunderbuss”, “doglock” and “1650”. Here is what I found at Andrew Bottomley’s website. It was listed as sold.

A Very Rare early Flintlock Dog-Lock Blunderbuss with a brass barrel, manufactured by "TAYLOR" (probably Godfrey Taylor of London). Brass butt-plate, steel trigger guard, side nails and steel saddle bar. Godfrey Taylor worked in London Circa 1678-1701. Overall length 33 inches. The lock plate engraved with floral motifs and the name "Taylor". The heavy brass barrel struck at the breech with 3 proof marks, the first one is clearly "GT". Very good and completely "Untouched" condition. This is the first time that this item has been offered for sale since 1951. Ref 6901.

Hi Dana,

I have been aware of a British tendency to date their weapons way too early, including the people of the Royal Armouries Leeds. They often graciously overlook a later restocking!

Whilst the lock and barrel of this blunderbuss can safely be dated to the 1660's, the straight underline of the buttstock, with no trace of the former belly butt left (cf. the 1650's sample from your post #14 ), strongly indicates a timeline of of restocking of ca. 1680-90.
So this actually is a 1680's blunderbuss reusing an older barrel and lock!

Best,
Michael