Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd July 2013, 06:42 PM   #1
A.alnakkas

Default Silver Filigree Work - Cleaning Methods?

Hello,

I have met some difficulties cleaning silver items with filigree work. As you may well know, filigree work has holes and whatever which makes it rather difficult to clean. Any tip on how to clean it?

I used some silver cleaning paste once, didnt like the result on filigree. The paste gets between the holes and spaces and is hard to remove. Although the paste is rather excellent for silver items that are more flat.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 11:41 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

OK first of all, unless the silver is black or very brown, please don't use paste! Things like paste and Tarnex ( ) will only eat into the soft silver, even dull a nice finish.

Instead use a "Sunshine Cloth" which you may be able to get from a jeweler or a jewelry supply store, etc. Lots of elbow grease, but it may restore the damage and certainly will not scratch or eat into the metal. It is specifically made for silver, gold (not often needed), copper, brass, and other soft metals (not much for steel, platinum, etc).

Filigree is hard to clean as you know (I do it all the time) and some places within the filigree will not shine because it is beyond reach (even with special tools, some spots may still be tough to reach).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 06:53 AM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Hello,

I have met some difficulties cleaning silver items with filigree work. As you may well know, filigree work has holes and whatever which makes it rather difficult to clean. Any tip on how to clean it?

I used some silver cleaning paste once, didnt like the result on filigree. The paste gets between the holes and spaces and is hard to remove. Although the paste is rather excellent for silver items that are more flat.

Salaams A.alnakkas See http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...8&page=4&pp=30 (109) The silversmiths here use these techniques.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 07:55 AM   #4
kahnjar1

I notice that Battara suggests "Sunshine Cloth". I suspect this is similar to the cloth I sent you, so try that with a toothbrush to get into the filigree. At least the toothbrush does not have metal bristles. If you look at the filigree of that Dharia I posted recently you will see the results using this method. There was originally quite a bit of black tarnish in the recesses.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 05:17 PM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Hello,

Salaams A.alnakkas~ The quickest way is with a brass brush ! which sounds agressive but it's not as the brass bristles which are softer than silver only takes away the silver oxidation and polishes the silver without a scratch. We often use lemon juice with the brush then wash off and dry the item afterwards.. Toothpaste and brush also works as do many modern cleaners and cloths.

The silversmith uses an enhanced method for example on stitched silver belts which are first cleaned in a solution called "sapun rita" (sapun means soap..see next para for how this is prepared) a smooth flat headed hammer is pressed firmly onto the silver decoration and pushed along the belt with moderate force...Burnished ... Cleaning the khanjar is a peculiar operation which sounds a bit majical ~

Sapun Rita is prepared by setting fire to a rita berry which when dropped into water disolves immediately forming a burnishing solution..into which the khanjar is dipped then brushed vigourously and given the mallet press treatment as above. It is a long lasting polish technique suited to filigree and needleworked silver stitching on Khanjar scabbard and belt.

I suspect that part of the idea in filigree work is not to even bother cleaning right down into the pattern which some would argue is part of the decorative technique and patina...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 24th July 2013, 11:39 PM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

I suppose that a toothbrush and lemon juice would be safe.

I disagree with the brass being softer than silver, especially if it is stirling or above. Coin silver is a different story and if made of coin silver or lower, then it may be safe with a brass brush. Brass is certainly better than steel.

In either case I did not mention those because I have seen folks who don't know what they are doing scratch and damage silver. If one has the experience and know how, then that is a different story.

If the sunshine cloth does not work, then the oxidation may need the brush work. Again be very careful.
Old 25th July 2013, 06:21 AM   #7
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I suppose that a toothbrush and lemon juice would be safe.

I disagree with the brass being softer than silver, especially if it is stirling or above. Coin silver is a different story and if made of coin silver or lower, then it may be safe with a brass brush. Brass is certainly better than steel.

In either case I did not mention those because I have seen folks who don't know what they are doing scratch and damage silver. If one has the experience and know how, then that is a different story.

If the sunshine cloth does not work, then the oxidation may need the brush work. Again be very careful.
I agree totally. Keep metal brushes away, and for the reasons you mention. There is obviously a field of thought that considers that metal brushes are OK and we see the results too often, particularly on blades .
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 06:26 AM   #8
A.alnakkas

thanks for the info guys. I shall put the pictures of the items I want to clean.. will go with your advice..

Pictures coming later today.
Old 26th July 2013, 04:11 AM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

Just for clarification - I am also a silversmith..........
Old 26th July 2013, 11:21 AM   #10
A.alnakkas

These are the two pieces... they were heavily patinised but gave them some cleaning with the cloth Stu sent for me.. pretty ok result?
Attached Images

Old 26th July 2013, 06:17 PM   #11
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
These are the two pieces... they were heavily patinised but gave them some cleaning with the cloth Stu sent for me.. pretty ok result?

Salaams A.alnakkas, Well we will never know since theres no before shot but I think its a reasonable clean up... you know what its like with these items being not pure silver they tarnish again very fast so what patina you lose in the cleaning you will soon make up in a few months as it returns. I think thats a fair job considering you only used cloth ... All the Omani silversmiths use the brass brush... hand held ...not dremel...and seen at my earlier reference. I can guarantee the brass brush and lemon routine will work better and about 10 times quicker than any other method on silver items... but of course thats just my opinion. You did a good job there.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 27th July 2013, 12:24 AM   #12
A.alnakkas

Salam,

Thanks IBrahim, I will try to find some before shots.. I think I have some.
Old 27th July 2013, 01:00 AM   #13
Battara
EAAF Staff

The second is great!

The first one could use one of Ibahim's ideas of lemon juice and a tooth brush. If you use a brass brush, please be careful - again brass is harder than silver and may scratch the surface.

Ibrahim is also right about the tarnish. The more copper is alloyed to the silver, the more easily it will tarnish.
Old 27th July 2013, 05:29 PM   #14
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
The second is great!

The first one could use one of Ibahim's ideas of lemon juice and a tooth brush. If you use a brass brush, please be careful - again brass is harder than silver and may scratch the surface.

Ibrahim is also right about the tarnish. The more copper is alloyed to the silver, the more easily it will tarnish.

Salaams Battara~ Your exhibits and posts on silver associated works are well admired and it is clear you are a silver master craftsman... The brass brush at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showt...78&page=4&pp=30 however, does not scratch pure silver artefacts...I don't know why it doesn't... but it only appears to remove the oxide. Perhaps it is because it is a hand powered item and the pressures are such that it causes no damage? The silversmiths that I know in Oman all use this item. When used with lemon juice and rinsed the results are very good... on silver.

Unlike Omani Khanjar the Yemeni equivalent Janbia or Jambia are often made of mixtures ( the mixed hues and colours are quite attractive so this is in no way a derogatory comment) and some would say that the metal is much harder thus more suitable as a weapons scabbard and hilt. What is apparent is the decline in quality from the pre 1948 days when Jewish craftsmanship was in abundance there and when much of the work was high quality silver.

I don't know what percentage each piece shown is but the top one which is to my eye greenish in colour has none or hardly any silver at all whilst dagger two is suspiciously pot metal looking particularly in the hilt. It may have silver in it to some lesser degree perhaps as a colouring additive.

Both daggers are very attractive in their own right, however, the question at #1 was about silver; which they are not ... unless we are using the generic term "silver" to cover all or any mixture of scabbard and hilt metals for southern arabian daggers? Nontheless and as you say, the brass brush also works reasonably well on such items. The tarnish rate is very fast on mixed metals thus it is hardly surprising that Yemeni owners don't get too bothered about having them so sparkling clean ~

I have also had excellent results from silvo type commercial polish solutions but try to stick with the more traditional techniques as outlined.

Please note that the paste used with the toothbrush technique (whilst you can use lemon juice) is, in fact, toothpaste.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 27th July 2013, 05:43 PM   #15
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Salam,

Thanks IBrahim, I will try to find some before shots.. I think I have some.

Salaams A.alnakkas; Can you say what is the provenance of the second exhibit? It is a most attractive combination ~ Is the scabbard from Oman ? having been altered or is it from the coastal Yemen region....Indian Ocean coast.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 27th July 2013, 05:52 PM   #16
A.alnakkas

Salam,

The 2nd one has a good quality silver scabbard but the hilt seems to be white metal. Odd combo yep? I thought maybe the hilt isnt authentic to the scabbard but it fits very well.. could be made for it later?

The 2nd one is Saudi craftmanship. There are variant examples and soon I will be sharing a research about them...
Old 27th July 2013, 11:22 PM   #17
Battara
EAAF Staff

Salaam Ibrahim.

If the bristles on the brush are fine then I can see its use.

Toothpaste? - now that makes sense. I thought you were talking about a different type of past. Lot of merit with toothpaste to get rid of tough tarnish, dirt and corrosion.

Simple tarnish that is brown or lighter - polishing cloth is all you need.

For example I could see toothpaste as an answer to the deeper black tarnish of the first example.
Old 27th July 2013, 11:26 PM   #18
Battara
EAAF Staff

Oh yes, regarding the mixing and matching of white metal hilt with a silver scabbard - would the scabbard or the hilt be of an earlier period? Otherwise I would consider this a strange combo.
Old 27th July 2013, 11:52 PM   #19
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Oh yes, regarding the mixing and matching of white metal hilt with a silver scabbard - would the scabbard or the hilt be of an earlier period? Otherwise I would consider this a strange combo.
I have no idea. But I will take them to a silversmith and check their quality.
Old 28th July 2013, 02:06 AM   #20
Battara
EAAF Staff

Good idea. I always advise that.