Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th September 2010, 03:31 AM   #1
texspearchunker

Default Two Unknown War Clubs American Indian Or ???

I just purchased these two clubs from an old Texas family. I'm thinking they may be American Indian but I'm no expert and any help in identification would be greatly appreciated. The longer of the two measures a little over 18" in length and the other one is a little under 17". Both have clips to hang from a belt. They are completely hand made and as you can see they have square nails to keep the heads on. Also notice the metal bands and strips along each shaft. Thanks for any help.

texspearchunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 04:33 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

I AM PRETTY SURE THEY ARE NOT NATIVE AMERICAN WAR CLUBS OR REPLICAS THERE OF. THEY REMIND ME OF SOME OF THE TOOL/ AX THAT ARE CARRIED BY JAPANESE FIRE CREWS. STRANGE AND INTERESTING ITEMS REGARDLESS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 04:46 AM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
I AM PRETTY SURE THEY ARE NOT NATIVE AMERICAN WAR CLUBS OR REPLICAS THERE OF. THEY REMIND ME OF SOME OF THE TOOL/ AX THAT ARE CARRIED BY JAPANESE FIRE CREWS. STRANGE AND INTERESTING ITEMS REGARDLESS.
Certainly not Native American in my eyes either. As Vandoo notes they could be Japanese and there are elements in styling that indicated this, the beak head, the belt hook and I think I see a floral motif around the base of one of these hooks, it too could indicate the origins of these interesting items.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 05:01 AM   #4
fearn

I'd also vote for Japanese fire hook. I recall seeing something like that in Serge Mol's Classical Weaponry of Japan: Special Weapons and Tactics of the Martial Arts.

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 07:27 AM   #5
M ELEY

They are Japanese fire tools used to pry open doors and knock holes in walls to get to the flames. I've seen them via fire apparatus auctions over the years (I was in EMS and collected such aeons ago)...
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 12:47 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Yup, I like Japanese fires..........no..........wait...........what I mean is I agree with the Japanese fire attribution.

NOT Native American what-so-ever.

Now back to pyromania.....
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote