Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th August 2008, 12:26 PM   #1
katana

Default It's pointed...its metal...but not quite a weapon.

Hope you don't mind me posting this....but I am very excited about it When I first joined the forum, I mentioned that I would like to learn bladesmithing.....'hands on' knowledge in blade manufacture can only increase my overall knowledge.

The item is pointed and made of metal and if you have ever watched 'Wile E Coyote' trying in vain to squash the 'Roadrunner' with one of these....you will know, it can be loosely described as a weapon

The Anvil is HUGE 40" from the point of the 'beak' to the opposite end. Ideal area for blades. I am incredibly lucky to have obtained this, likely very old (could be earlier than 19th C) and very unusual because of its size.

All comments or advice will be very welcome

Regards David

Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Atlantia

Fantastic.
remember how people used to make their own brickwork BBQs? Nice one of those with careful ventilation would produce plenty enough heat to get a sword bar hot enough to work.
Probobly have to use heatproof bricks as you're gonna use it regularly.
Use an old wrought iron grate out of a coal fire (set in of course).
boot sales are a great source of BIG old hammers of various sizes.

Of course the neighbours will love you!
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 03:38 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Fantastic... Of course the neighbours will love you!
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

LOL!! That is great David! Love the analogy about Wile Coyote and the roadrunner We're in the desert outside Tucson right now, and there are coyotes serenading at night, and the roadrunners are indeed very strange birds. I do recall good ole Wile with his trusty anvil, and now I'll be watching for one of these critters dragging an anvil

Really interesting piece, and I really like your approach to the hands on facet on sword study. I have never fully grasped the metallurgy end of things, and really admire those here who are so well versed in that perspective. It definitely adds new dimension in understanding and evaluating the weapons.

I think you and Fernando bring neverending fascination into these threads with the incredibly eclectic things you guys find! Somehow it makes the discussions more three dimensional. Thank you!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Atlantia

P.S.

Love the 'Stonehenge' rollers moving method!
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 09:10 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Looks like you scored well here.

Best anvil I ever used was one at Hawkesbury Agricultural College, when I was being taught by Gordon Blackwell. Beautiful old English one, 350pounds, and had almost no work since the day it had been made.

You get a good big anvil, it does half the work for you.

My own anvil is only 75 kilos, and made in Singapore. Not much of an anvil, but it does the job. I've got another little no-name anvil that I've had the work table precision ground on, that I can use for getting blades really true.

How do you intend to mount this anvil? Might be a bit difficult to get a big enough hardwood stump. The stump needs to support the full base, and should go about 3 feet into the ground. You set the anvil height so that when you stand beside it with a clenched fist, your knuckles just brush the work table.

The whole thing needs to be square, and the horn goes to your left.

Anyway, nice anvil.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote