Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th October 2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking
Default An Extremely Rare North Italian Arquebusier's Auxiliary Armament Saber, ca. 1510-15

I posted this as part of my thread on 15th and 16th c. Italian edged weapons but am afraid that it might have been overlooked among the flood of material provided there, so here it is in a thread of its own.

It has been in my collection for seven years. No other similar saber is known in any museum or private collection.

Ca. 1510-15, retaining natural staghorn grips (maybe a working time replacement) fixed by iron tubular rivets and the single edged blade preserved in its original length but reduced somewhat in width by long and heavy use, the tip double edged; the overall length of the saber is 94 cm. This one may well have seen service at the famous Battle of Pavia in 1525.

Note that the rare trefoil pommel is not riveted but copper soldered to the tang which, together with the two piece staghorn grips fixed with tubular rivets, denotes that this light saber is characteristic cutlery work, just like a Grosses Messer or Seitenwehr (Kurzwehr) - does anyone know the English term - Cornelis?

The item is preserved in virtually 'untouched' condition throughout; the blade is partially pitted and jagged, the hilt retains much of its original blackened surface and is pitted. After I applied olive oil to the iron surfaces (the contemporary so-called tree oil used in armories for hundreds of years) the rust turned to a bluey black which, interestingly enough and according to my experience, is absolutely typical of all ironwork surfaces between roughly ca. 1480 and 1540.

This piece goes perfectly together with my four early 16th century Landsknecht matchlock arquebuses to which it also closely corresponds in its overall length of 94 cm.

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Matchlock
(deceased)

The rest of the images.
Attached Images

Old 10th October 2009, 05:33 PM   #3
cornelistromp

Hi Michael,

Amazing!!!!!!!!
extremely rare and extremely beautiful landsknecht saber
congratulations Michael, this one would also fit perfectly in my collection.

A similar developed basket look-a-like hilt is published in European weapons and Armour by Ewart Oakeshott. see pic.
I also found some pommel similarity in the sketches of R-J Charles taken from paintings of Lucas Cranach 1516-1586.

CF the thumb ring; the first illustration with this type of thumb ring known, published by A.V.B. Norman, is in the portrait of Melchior Hornlocher by Hans Bock I, dated 1577 (Basle oeffentliche Kunstsammlung, inv NR 80).

your saber is definitely earlier,however because of the developed Hilt later then 1530, I assume it can be dated between 1535-1540.

Best regards
Attached Images

cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 12:15 PM   #4
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi Cornelis,

Thank you so much for both your contribution and appreciation!

I can, of course, see your point of dating the piece into to 1530's and will try and find some illustrations to exemplify why I thought it might be a bit earlier.

Best wishes,
Michael
Old 12th October 2009, 02:23 PM   #5
broadaxe

Absolutely stunning, a true conversation piece!
From a general point of view, it shows great resemblence to the famous Swiss hand and a half saber.
I would call it a hybreed between a messer and a Sinclair saber.
The entire construction, sans the gard, is pure central European messer. This kind of construction prevents the replacing of the guard alone, hence I think is the brazing at the pommel.

Last edited by broadaxe; 12th October 2009 at 02:42 PM.
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 02:42 PM   #6
Matchlock
(deceased)

Excellent point, broadaxe, thank you so much!

Best,
Michael