Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th March 2007, 03:38 AM   #1
Michael Blalock

Default Big jambiya

Sorry about the poor photo, I hope to get a better one. Thats a big jambiya. If I came across it now without seeing this photo I would have thought it was some kind prop.
Attached Images

Michael Blalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 04:28 AM   #2
Emanuel

Hello Michael,

This is a Wahabite jambiya no? Check out Oriental-Arms: http://www.oriental-arms.com/search....te&s.x=0&s.y=0
I also wondered about these weapons...esseantially short swords, and I doubt they were used as stabbing weapons.

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 07:52 AM   #3
FenrisWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo
Hello Michael,

This is a Wahabite jambiya no? Check out Oriental-Arms: http://www.oriental-arms.com/search....te&s.x=0&s.y=0
I also wondered about these weapons...esseantially short swords, and I doubt they were used as stabbing weapons.

Emanuel
Yup, Wahabite Jambiya/Khanjar, they range in size from a small dagger (6 inch blade) up to monsters like the one in the picture that would qualify as a shortsword. Razorsharp on both edges, the tip is sharp enough to thrust with in a pinch, though it lacks the thickened point seen on blades that re designed for that purpose. These are the 'manhood' blades of the Wahabite sect, very stylized at this point in time. Wahabites are the core Fundamentalist sect of Islam:

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,719270,00.html
FenrisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 08:41 AM   #4
S.Al-Anizi

Hello Mike,

Actually, the description on the photo is wrong. That is a photo of one the Sharif's nephews (as I read in two books), why would a pilgrim be armed?

Anyway, as Fenris said, these range in lengths from about 10" to to ones 2.5 feet in size. Which would suggest that in some places, they were probably used as shortswords.

As to the Wahabite name, that is totally incorrect and a very common misconception with collectors of Jambiyas. The followers of Muhammad Ibn Abdulwahab were in Nejd, and wore traditional Omani Jambiyas, or local Nejdi made ones, but in an undeniable Omani style. These large Jambiyas you see were made and worn, still today, in the Asir region, between the Hejaz and the Yemen, where Wahabism has never really penetrated, and no warriors from there actually joined the wahhabi/saudi coalition in Nejd, they actually fought against it in the 18th century.
S.Al-Anizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 03:18 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Another Collector misconception cleared up .

Thanks Saqr; this kind of input is invaluable.

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 07:07 PM   #6
Emanuel

So...what do we call them now? Would "Asir jambiya" be more adequate?

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 04:23 AM   #7
Michael Blalock

Better image.
Attached Images

Old 17th March 2007, 06:01 AM   #8
FenrisWolf

Interesting! I've always wondered how those were worn; it looks like even the large jambiyas are set up to be drawn pommel up towards the thumb, the reverse of how one would hold a sword. I suppose it would be possible to twist the hand so as to draw the weapon with the blade positioned for a slash or drawcut, but it seems awkward for that....
FenrisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 09:30 PM   #9
ariel

This picture was in Elgood's book.
What puzzled me then and still puzzles me now it the orientation of all Jambiyas: the handles face left side of the body. If one looks at other pics in the same book, all of them show Jambiyas oriented to the left (as here), but they are all short like No.2 from the left. Unless the entire family and their servants were south-paws, this will make drawing the exceedingly long dagger very difficult.
Possibilities:
1. There must have been a reason for the leftward orientation ; was it special drawing technique? For example: with the right hand on the down side of the handle flip the jambiya to the right, then draw. This will be almost like a shashka or wakizashi cut: one movement for both the draw and the slash.
2. The negative was flipped.
Any ideas?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 10:37 PM   #10
Michael Blalock

Every Arabian Penninsula jambiya I have ever seen is oriented this way, hooked or pointing to the right with the handle either vertical or to the left and the jambiy is drawn with the right hand with the thumb at the top of the handle. I would assume that there is enough flexibility in the belt of these long jambiyas that they can be twisted and the blade drawn with an upward motion. It might have to do with the dirty left hand and clean right hand issue. By the way, attached is a close-up of reportely the most valuable jambiya in yemen. I posted a photo of the owner Shiekh Ahmar wearing it in a previous post.
Attached Images

Old 26th March 2007, 12:11 AM   #11
ariel

Is he putting it on E-Bay?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 02:33 AM   #12
Michael Blalock

It belonged to Imam Ahmad who beheaded the Sheikh's father and brothers and held him as a hostage for several years, so I think he will keep it for sentimental reasons.